Finally the after being initially released in select regions the new firmware for the Nokia N95 is now available for product codes of the Indian Sub Continent.
The new firmware improves the overall speed of the phone, specially the Gallery and the Menu which is indeed welcome. The thumbnails load instantly! The biggest addition in the firmware is the AGPS or the Assisted GPS which greatly improves the time taken for a GPS fix. However please do not expect instant results.
Update: One thing that’s bugging me is that in the web browser, the toolbar that used to come while clicking on a blank section of the website only presents itself on a long press! I had got so used to it working the way it used to that for a while I felt as if it had gone! Nokia please in the next version corect this.
Secondly, now a long press of the multi media menu doesn’t open the music player! Only when it is pressed the second time that it opens it. Meanwhile the Multi Media Menu starts to load and it becomes very irritating as well as time consuming!
The irritating key press bug is there! Its making typin hell! Worst is that sometimes the space ‘0’ key misses out and u then have to delete two words to correct the error. However the more i type with this bug the more i’m getting used to it, still it shouldn’t be there in the first place!
The firmware is available via the Nokia Software Updater (NSU) which is available here. The changelog can be found below.
Changes/improvements made from 11.0.026 to 12.0.013:
* HSDPA indicator
* Property watcher added to the screen saver
* Improvements to WLAN sniffer
* WLAN stability improvements
* Screen saver timeout default value stays correct after MMC backup
* Stability improvements to memory card formatting
* Image editor stability improvements
* Lifeblog input improvements
* Colors of Java Midlet icons no longer scaled down
* Localization corrections
* Voice mail number now correctly read from SIM card
* Download Manager stability improvements
* Improvements to animations in Midlets
* Multimedia menu stability improvements
* BT stability improvements
* Correction to WLAN interoperability problem with Netgear router
* Correction for High Capacity memory cards
* Correction to backlight blinking
* Barcode reader no longer prevents deep sleep
* Improvements to USB plugin handling
* Better Out of Memory handling
* Performance improvements
* Improvements to RCPI based roaming(WLAN)
* Improvements to cached PMKSA authentication with WPA2-PSK(WLAN)
* Correction to secondary SSID handling(WLAN)
* Improvements to registration in offline mode(WLAN)
* Stability improvements to Quick Office
* Correction to WLAN setup wizard
* Multimedia Menu shown correctly also when Chinese image as a background image
* Calendar stability improvements
* Stability improvements to text box input in browser
* HSDPA throughput improvements
* Improvements to file upload
* General stability improvements to Browser
* Animated images shown correctly in Web pages
* Stability improvements for incoming call handling during music playback
* Volume and time bar positions adjusted
* Music store closed properly after use
* Memory handling improvements in Music Player
* Audio Handling improvements
* Improvements to Find in music player
* Improvements to reconnection to live stream
* APN query shown correctly in Music Shop
* JPEG scaling no longer corrupts exif info
* Image print stability improvements
* Stability improvements in Gallery
* Performance improvements to slide show
* Improvements to UPnP picture copy from Media Server
* UPnP stability improvements
* Improvements to image rendering
* Correct LSK shown after a call
* Zoom&Pan hidden when TV-out is connected
* RSK & LSK shown correctly after editing play list
* Correction to image rendering after screen saver is activated
* Music selection dialog shown also in landscape mode in slideshow settings
* Stability improvements in messaging application
* Improvements to email handling
* Improvements to email sync
* Correction to MMS sending during VT call
* Improvements to SIP settings
* Callback request call is made secured like the first call
* Corrections to VoIP emergency call handling
* Changing camera scene mode no longer changes Sharpness value
* Phone goes now correctly to deep sleep after taking images
* CPHS corrections
* Call forward icon now shown correctly also after reboot
* MT video call shown correctly on UI
* Lots of maps improvements
* Position Method now selected correctly
* WLAN APN removed from AGPS positioning server settings
Changelog courtsey Symbian-Freak.
PS: Make sure u make a backup of the phone memory before you update! Some people face a problem restoring the backup at times so make sure you make a backup on the memory card as well as via the PC Suite.
For any questions, comments or feedback just drop a note in the comments section! Good Luck with updating! Its a 110.3 Mb download!
Trackback URL is here.