Home » Miscellaneous, Symbian, Tutorials

Resetting The T9 Dictionary

By - On 12 October 2007 17 Comments

T9

One of the perenial problems that plague T9 predictive dictionary users is the fact that once your device has “learned” a new word and added it to the predictive lineup, there’s no going back. As was observed by Zach over at SiMo, every time he added a new word to the user dictionary it replaced a more commonly used word. Everyone makes enough mistakes with T9 so the last thing we need is “yes” being replaced by “WEP” every time we type it, as Zach experienced, just because he was talking to someone a month ago about WiFi security.

Fortunately he also posted a solution to the problem which allows us to reset the dictionary to the default. Jonny Bruha from over at Thoughts on S60 has also posted a solution to the problem, which allows us to correct the dictionary without having to loose all of our custom words.

SOLUTIONS:

1. Resetting the T9 dictionary completely.

2. Resetting selective words.

Trackback URL is here.

• Kenny B said:

Many thanks top advice, downloaded Y-browser and deleted the t9 predic file, now the infuriating word “yot” doesn’t appear every time I type the word “you” on my N95.

Many many thanks.

• Kenny B said:

Many many thanks.

Glad you found it useful! :)

Glad you found it useful! :)

• Nath said:

Fantastic work mate, spent months correcting every 2nd word I spelt, now its back to normal.

Cheers,

• Nath said:

Cheers,

• Jo said:

Do you know how to do this with a Samsung U900?

Thanks,

Jo

• Jo said:

Do you know how to do this with a Samsung U900?

Thanks,

Jo

• MS said:

A question that links to T9 Dictionaries.

I got a used Nokia 6020 from a friend in Scandinavia and it works fine as my extra phone. Only problem is that I would like FRENCH and ITALIAN as input language in the T9 Dictionary, when I text.

The phone has ENGLISH, SUOMI, SWEDISH, DANISH, NORWEGIAN, GERMAN and ICELANDIC.

Is it possible to add a language to the T9 Dictionary?!

Hope someone can help me?!

Thanks,

MS

• MS said:

A question that links to T9 Dictionaries.

The phone has ENGLISH, SUOMI, SWEDISH, DANISH, NORWEGIAN, GERMAN and ICELANDIC.

Is it possible to add a language to the T9 Dictionary?!

Hope someone can help me?!

Thanks,

MS

• Piers said:

i feel like i need to share an alternative way of correcting the T9 dictionary if you have a Samsung U900; open up a text message and in a blank message just put the word that gets automatically changed into something else (only my phone that was ’843′ instead of ‘the’). Write it in T9 and correct it every time using the ’0′ button about 7 times in a row. Your phone will assume that the word you have changed it to is the more commonly used word (which it is…what with ‘the’ being quite a widely used word) and from then on it should be fine.

• Piers said:

• CW said:

Piers, your suggestion to replace the incorrect suggestion several times to overwrite it worked like a charm. Thanks very much!

• CW said:

• Ian B said:

Piers, I’d like to add my thanks as well for this tip: worked as you indicated on my Samsung U900. That’ll save me a lot of time – in my case I had ’6M’ popping up instead of ‘on’, and ‘JTru’ instead of ‘just’; both frequently-used words.

• ASF said:

Nokia finally published an app doing with the sole purpose of editing the T9 dictionary on your phone:

Cheers!

• www.carscratchremover.com said:

Your blogs style is easy and clean and i enjoy it. Your blog posts are magnificent. Please keep them coming. Great!!!

Leave your response!