Gaurav from the N95 Community on Orkut has posted this short guide to help have the benefits of a wifi router without actually having it on Windows XP. Jamal Abid had previously written a similar guide for Windows Vista.
SHARING YOUR EXISTING ETHERNET INTERNET CONNECTION
1. Go to Control Panel -> Network Connection.
2. Right click on Your Ethernet connection and click on “Properties”.
3. Go to “Advanced” Tab.
4. Check “Allow Other NEtwork….. Internet Connection”
5. In the Drop down Below select the Wifi connection of your pc. If it is disabled, it will be showing your wifi connection already.
6. Click on “Settings”
7. Check the protocols you need to share. Jamal has explained on them.I normally use only http and https.
8. Click on “Ok”.you reach the network connection page. The sharing part is now over.
FINDING DNS SERVER IP ADDRESS.
1. Click on Start -> Run
2. Type in cmd in the Run prompt
3. In the new window type “ipconfig /all” and press enter.
4. Note down your DNS server ip address from the screen.
CONFIGURING THE WIFI
1. Go again to Control Panel -> network connections.
2. Right click on your WIFI connection and click “properties”.
3. Go to”Wireless Network” Tab.
4. The “use windows to configure my wireless network connection” should be checked.
5. In the preferred network connection section click on add button
6. Enter a name of your wish to the network name.
7. Network authentication is “open”
8. Change Data Encryption to “Disabled”
9. Check the “this is a computer to computer …. not used” connection.
10. Click “Ok”.
11. Click on general tab. select “internet protocol(tcp/ip) and click on properties button.
12. Now type 192.168.0.1 in ip address, 255.255.255.0 in subnet mask, leave default gateway empty.
13. Fill in the DNS server entry which you had noted down earlier.
14. Click on “OK” and your network is set.
Your network should appear on the wifi network list now. Search for wlan on your phone. Connect and enjoy browsing on your phone.
Remember the tips Jamal had shared, switch off the network when not needed.
Update: For those of you who get a “No gateway reply” or this doesn’t work, jump over to Dotsisx’s guide!
Trackback URL is here.