Yes, you read it correctly! You can now have access to any and I mean any video on youtube or any other flash video based website. There is no longer a need for converters or portals like m.vtap.com or the youtube mobile site. Forget them all!
Update: Forget all of this, just look up this post. It is a fully featured YouTube client with no effort involved.
Update: RotateMe wizard Samir has meanwhile released a Youtube player that lets you search for youtube videos and playthen directly on the phone. There’s just one glitch in the beta, you can only search for one word! Really worth a shot. Look here.
In this guide I will list out a few easy steps which will allow you to do so.
2. Opera – Download!
4. A S60v3 Phone e.g. N95, N93, N73, N83, N81, E90, E70 and so on.
Once the above is done with, lets start:
1. Goto Youtube.com from the browser. Exit the mobile version, move onto the classic variant.
2. Search for a video as you normally would, open it.
3. It will fail to playback, nevermind we just need the URL. Save the bookmark and copy from URL from the saved bookmark.
4. Open Opera browser(not mini) and head over to http://www.keepvid.com/. (Or any other site that allows you to extract the Flash video.)
5. Paste the link and make sure to choose Youtube. (In case the video is from any other site choose that particular site’s name).
6. Press “Download” and after a few seconds you will have a pop up with the download link to the video. The download button is the small box underneath the words “Anysite” in the screenshot above.
7. Once the download is complete, copy the video to E:Others\video.
8. Rename the video to “1.flv”. (or 2.flv or 3.flv)
9. Install Flash light 3 if you already have not.
Setting Up the FLV player:
– Download FLVplayer and copy it to the “Other” folder and create a folder there named “video”. (E:\Others\video)
– Rename your flv files 1.flv, 2.flv, 3.flv and place them in the “video” folder.
10. You can have upto 3 flv files ready for playback. For more simply keep renaming them.
11. Run Flash Lite 3 and select the FLVplayer, choose options and select Full Screen mode.
12. Just press 1 and the video will start playing! Press 4 or 6 for great full screen viewing! If you have more that one video saved press 2 or 3 for the corresponding video to begin playback.
Thats it! Enjoy! The tutorial may look long but in essence is a piece of cake.
– Increase the Display time out to maximum while you are watching videos.
– While the player is running press options for volume and other controls.
Please allow us to download any file type from the web browser, I have been ranting about this for a while now! We won’t need opera then.
The day Flash Lite 3 came out I was thinking of getting this jig to work but could only find time now! Steve your words (“this time next week you’ll have seen S60 smartphones able to access any clip on YouTube… You mark my words!”) are now a reality! 😉
I searched for Touch UI on youtube and here is the video playing on my N95:
UPDATE: What seems like a lot of work isn’t much once you have the player setup. I went to youtube, searched for a video, downloaded it and played within 3 minutes. Not bad because you get to keep the video, send it to friends, pc etc but there is a little lag!
If you found this post useful, why not subscribe to the RSS Feed.