Home » Miscellaneous

All Regional Variants Of N78 Will NOT Have An FM Transmitter

By - On 11 June 2008 50 Comments

All Regional Variants Of N78 Will Not Have An FM Transmitter

The N78 started shipping in India a little while ago and I was able to get hold of one for a brief period. I was keen to try out the FM Transmitter as thats one of the things the N78 brings for the first time in any Nseries device. But to my dismay I simply could not find the option, I figured there was probably something wrong with my handset but today Arvind, a eagle eyed reader who has the same problem left a comment wondering why his bought in India N78, didn’t have a transmitter too.

Following up, he points us to a Nokia Page which tells you whether the N78 being sold in your country will have the transmitter or not. Fortunately, most governments are sane and have permitted its use, but if you are in France, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Ireland or Italy don’t buy the N78 because of this feature, you won’t find it! Its best to check before you take the plunge. Or hit up online retailers and get yourself a N78 from another country, there won’t be any warranty though and the FM transmitter use might still be illegal!

Update: May be flashing with another region’s product code might help if all N78′s have the same hardware. Can someone share a product code that supports the transmitter?

• K FLYER said:

I think you just need to change the country of your device. This can be done in Time Zone I guess. Check and tell us what happened. Because I believe that all they build is a single N78 version and not country specific and hence all should have the transmitter inside.

• Branko said:

that would be a great shortcut. unfortunateley I have tried it and it doesn’t work. so, timezones is a NoFix :(

• ayush3090 said:

i think you should try the euro1 product code, it should activate your FM transmitor

• Branko said:

balkans code 564477 does not support thr FM transmiter… I tried with a few other codes and unfortunately I wasn’t able to get it running :( if anyone has any possible solutions, pls write to banjeze@telenor.rs

thanx

• Vaibhav Sharma said:

Try changing the product code to 0566375 via NSS then reflash the firmware. Please do this at your own risk! ;-)

The N78 shows the transmitter with the above product code.

• More N78 Coverage said:

[...] over at TheSymbianBlog, they’ve discovered that all N78s are not created equal, as some local governments do not allow FM Transmitters. There’s a handy page at Nokia which [...]

• RUBEN said:

Can someone write me the page where I can find all the product code to make the change in a NOKIA N78.
    Writing from Spain…
    Many thanks, in advance

• Vaibhav Sharma said:

Hi, with 0566375 the FM transmitter seems to be available.

• RUBEN said:

TO: VAIBHAV SHARMA

Do you know if the code 0566375 is valid in Spain??
    If not, do you know where can I see all product codes list??

Thanks

• Vaibhav Sharma said:

Why would you need to change the product code, if the N78 you have is based in Spain?

PS: That should work with any N78 with non US bands.

• RUBEN said:

TO: Vaibhav Sharma

The thing is that I don’t want to have all the announcements that the telephone company (Movistar) has installed in the phone. And I want the product code to get rid of all the publicity.

I would appreciate it if you could help me.

Thank you.

• Vaibhav Sharma said:

The above product code should work fine! Be careful that this might void your warranty or cause harm to your phone!

• RUBEN said:

TO: Vaibhav Sharma

I want to update the firmware to an original Nokia version (without the network items) through the NSU (Nokia Software Update).

• RUBEN said:

Is this product code that you are giving me valid for Spain? Is it the EURO 1 the one that is usually valir for Spain to take the language in Spanish

• Vaibhav Sharma said:

That part I’m not sure of. All I can say is that it has English for sure. I have no clue about a Spain specific product code. You might want to cheack out a sim free N78 sold near out and note the product code under the battery.

• blurkelvin said:

do u have malay/chinese/english n82 product code????

• blurkelvin said:

do u have malay/chinese/english n78 product code????

• Coolio said:

I Have the Dutch edition. FM-transmitter is included. But the signal is not very strong

• samhail said:

0560815 APAC 1 Asia-Pacific Region Ⅰ silver and cocoa brown color
    0560816 Cambodia Cambodia silver and blue
    0560817 Bengal Bangladesh silver and blue
    0560818 APAC 1 Asia-Pacific Region Ⅰ silver and blue
    0565648 India Indian silver and blue

• samhail said:

im still trying to get NSS to see my phone :(

Try using Windows Xp, NSU there is much more reliable and make sure you have PC suite installed.

• arun singh said:

the official site http://www.europe.nokia.com/fmtransmitter now shows its legal in india and many other countries so i updated the firmware using nsu but its still missing there
    so i want to know will software do it to work or the hrdware is missing in indian version??
    arunsinghlove@gmail.com

• Maniche said:

jus bought da n78…fm transmitter is not working as expected…:(
    can sumone pls plz plz tell me how to enable it….step by step…
    hav downloaded da nss now what ???
    manish.sg@gmail.com

• Naveed said:

Hi,

I had checked this at nokia’s website. FM transmitter is available in India. I made some rounds at my retailer but he is unaware about it.

However, when i checked the help from within the music player, it does speak about the fm transmitter there.

I would be checking with a Nokia priority dealer as soon as I am able to buy some time.

• Sohail said:

Man this sucks!!!

i bought my nokis N78 from the Nokia store in South Extension, New Delhi!!!
    and even though the manual and the onboard n78 video show the FM Transmitter feature, there is no such option in the ‘Now Playing’ screen!!!

I fail to understand how can this be illegal!!! and this sucks big time!!

We can actually sue these guys for selling us a faulty product as officially it is allowed here in India!!

Man, i thought Nokia was improving! but i’m sorry to say Nokia SUCKS!! :(

Ultra dissapointed N78 user!! :(

• Sukhdeep said:

Hello,

Vaibhav Sharma can you please share me with steps on how to change Product Code to enable FM trasnmitter in India :)

• Sohail's - Guide to getting back the FM Transmitter on N78 :D said:

Hey guys finally i figured out how to get fm transmitter on indian N78!!!

just got mine! yay! :D

K!
    Steps –

1. first of all u need to backup everything on ur phone!(MMC wont be involved) via Content copier on ur N-Series PC Suite!

2. Start “Nokia Software Updater” application. It might need to update itself, let it do so.

3. In the meanwhile, u should charge ur N78 to ensure that it has full battery!

4. After the update it’ll tell u to restart ur system, do so

5. After reboot is complete, u’ll see nokia software updater is already open. Connect ur phone via USB and run the update!

6. The update is about 111 MB so it’ll take quite some time to download! Watch movies, sleep or do some work till then! :D

7. After the download completes it’ll update the phone automatically(takes about 2 mins! lol!)

8. And ur phone should show fm transmitter option in the ‘Now Playing’ screen but it wont run as yet!!

U need to reset ur phone to factory settings to get the ‘FM Transmitter’ to work!

WARNING – Resetting ur phone to factory settings will remove all the 3rd party applications that u had installed earlier + calendar events + contacts(pretty much everything on ur “Phone Memory”) so be sure to backup all ur contacts, calendar events, notes etc. !!!

9. When u r ready to proceed with the reset – Enter *#7370# code on the home screen!

It’ll ask for the lock code! it should be 12345 if u didn’t change it urself!

Let the reset proceed!

After reset and after selecting ur region(India), date and time u will see the home screen!

Go and check in the Music folder! FM Transmitter should be there! :D

I’m ultra happy i could get it to work on my N78!
    I’m sure it’ll work out for u guys too!!

Now enjoy ur phone even more!!
    Cheers! :)

• Arvind said:

Hey Guys i checked the URL, it says FM Transmission is Allowed in INDIA.

Pls let me know the actual step by procedure to enable it on the N78 Phone, it is still missing.

• Sohail said:

^^Did u try the method i posted!?? Its just above ur post! :D

• arun said:

its now available in india also and many other countries
    check out the following page if its not available in ur phone

• Ayan said:

I followed the steps mentioned above but still the fm transmitter is available.My updated firmware is 12.046 and prduct code is of india

• How To Enable The FM Transmitter On The N78 | The Symbian Blog said:

[...] reason and the N78’s sold here therefore, lacked that wonderful functionality. When I first became aware of this, an idea stuck me that it was quite possible that the hardware part was present and [...]

• kraloyun said:

• Enable The FM Transmitter On The N78 said:

[...] whatever reason and the N78’s sold here therefore, lacked that wonderful functionality. When I first became aware of this, an idea stuck me that it was quite possible that the hardware part was present and [...]

• Arun said:

i ded an OTA update once i bought my N78 5 days back. i am in india and the fm transmitter does not show up. neither am i able to reinstall the firmware.

Please help

• Метод Мен said:

Интересная новость!!!

• 50Cent said:

Спасибо за сайт!)

• Piyush Saxena said:

Sohail….ur guide works like a charm….:-)

• anshul said:

oh my god it worked to my utter surprise….
    thanx so much i was missin this featur as i had bought the device in great expectation of playin device songs on car radio….

live forever people….

• cepinac said:

branko and all others try using Sohail’s – Guide to getting back the FM Transmitter on N78, works 100%!
    thanks man!!

• Димон said:

Классный у вас сайт, удачи в развитии! ;)

• The Game said:

Да сайт впоряде, инфа интересная…

• Hip Hop Game said:

Уматоватовая штука…!

• honamania said:

Да,несогласен с предыдущими неудачниками
    Споки :-)

• honamania said:

Хм,согласен с предыдущими неудачниками
    ^..^ Bye

• Amina said:

Полезный ресурс, спасибо!

• Códigos de produto do N78 pelo mundo - Moondoo Web 2.0 said:

[...] Ok, esse post é um post auxiliar seguem os códigos de produto de todo o mundo para hackear o n78 tirados do thesymbianblog [...]

• Habilite o Transmissor FM do N78 - Moondoo Web 2.0 said:

[...] Via: thesymbianblog [...]

• Shariq said:

HI, I just recently bought a N78, and FM transmitter is not working, I tried to update software, so I am now having version 21.002 which is most updated. but Fm transmitter still seems to be not working.. when I turned it on, my car radio does not sound any thing on the same frequency.please help, my current location is australia.