The N96 To Start Shipping In Early September, iPhone Fans Pay Attention
Much to my delight, Nokia today officially unveiled the N96 here in India, over a month before the global expected shipping date. The reason I am so happy about the release date being advanced to early September is because the iPhone is all set to rear its head in India on August the 22nd at an exorbitant 700$ plus price. What this means is that the N96 will be able to take on Apple’s offering and this will make for an interesting watch in the coming months. This post shares some of the inside details on the contents of the production N96.
THE N96 LAUNCH
The N96, as you may recall is the 5 megapixel, dual LED touting, GPS & WiFi enabled, 16 GB holding, DVB-H enabled, TV out capable behmoht. In addition to the impressive specsheet the N96 will pack a few more goodies too, here are a few details.
PREINSTALLED THIRD PARTY APPLICATIONS
I absolutely love quality third party applications and its great to see Nokia take steps to make people realise the true potential of their S60 device. The application set the N96 is set to ship with is quite impressive.
- Wave Secure: The application enables you to secure everything on the device wirelessly. One can save and create a back up of all data (contacts, SMS, call logs and calendar entries) through the Internet. Additionally, in the event that it is lost or stolen, WaveSecure helps remotely wipe out all data from the device to prevent misuse, lock the device remotely and even track any new SIM card inserted. A definite must have. It might not be as powerful as Guardian, but packs nifty additional features such as online backups.
- Oxford Dictionary: A dictionary is one of the first things I install on my phone and like the newer Eseries, the N96 will ship with an Oxford English dictionary containing over 2,40,000 words, phrases & definitions in the A-Z format and help for spelling & grammar.
- Mobiola Screen Capture: Screen Capture application enables you to project your phone’s screen onto your PC by establishing a connection via USB or Bluetooth. Loads of times you need to display the Phone’s screen on the PC and TV out isn’t an option, this is where this application comes in.
- Indi SMS – Indi SMS application integrates with message Inbox allows you to type in English & it will be then convert that text into converted into any of the 9 languages. (Hindi, Punjabi, Gujrati, Bengali, Tamil, Telgu, Kannada, Marathi & Malayalam). Brilliant. While, I personally don’t see much practical usage for myself, something like this can be good fun. I wonder if we can get something like this for other non Indian languages.
MULTIMEDIA, GAMING & MAPS
- The N96 doesn’t seem to be in a mood to disappoint, on the multimedia side, to show off its 2.8″ screen and great audio quality, it will ship with with the movie ‘Om Shanti Om’, 50 music video and a mix of 200 music tracks in Hindi & English.
- It will also rock 3 N-Gage games with an unlimited license on for Asphalt Urban. Beautiful. Don’t we all love freebies?!
- Lastly, like most newer S60 devices from Nokia it will come preloaded with Maps 2.0 and a 3 month Navigation license for 8 Indian cities.
The N96 has been touted as a mere shadow of the N95 owing to somewhat similar specifications, but inspite of all of that I am looking forward to this phone. After four months with an Eseries devices, I really need some Nseries action and the N96 is coming at an opportune time. If the battery can pull it off, the N96 might just be my next phone.
I hate doing comparison posts, but as for all of you in India who have been waiting for the iPhone, its time to rethink. A minimum of Rs. 31,000 is exorbitant for what the iPhone packs – a paltry 2MP camera, no GPS navigation, no A2DP, no sending files over bluetooth, the ability to get music from only one computer, no video recording, poor SMS functionality and I could go on. I love the fancy UI too, but seriously that price is a joke!
If you enjoyed this post, then be sure to subscribe to our Full Feed RSS. You can also Subscribe via Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.Share:
- Is Nokia’s Ovi Music Unlimited Coming To An End?
- New Nokia 5800 Firmware v20.0.012 Out – User Generated ChangeLog Inside
- I Talk About Wireless Tethering & JoikuSpot On NDTV’s CellGuru (In English & Hindi)
- This Is What I Had To Say About The N900 On National Television
- Nokia Announces Funding For Four Infotainment Applications – Invites More Entries For The Next Phase