Home » Featured, Headline, Tutorials

Must Know Tips & Tricks For The E71

By - On 2 January 2009 79 Comments

E71 Tips & Tricks

[digg-me]The E71 was one of the very best handsets to come out of Nokia factories in 2008 and the best ever in my book. So it is only right that we utilise its functionality to the absolute hilt and try and make the E71 even more efficient.

Here is a long list of must know tips and tricks for the E71. You might already know a few but if you are new to S60 and the E71 in particular, I’m sure this will make for a happy start to the E71 new year!

• STICKY FUNCTION KEY – A quick double press on the bottom left ‘function’ key locks it. This is helpful in situations when you need to press a combination of keys or in applications like Gmail which can be controlled via the keypad.
  • 1-800-WHATEVER – To dial 1-800-WHATEVER: type 1800, hit Fn, then Shift twice, type WHATEVER, and press the Call/Green key to dial. (The idea is to type in the alphabet mode in CAPITAL letters ONLY). The alphabets will automatically be converted to numbers.
  • ONE TOUCH MUTE – You can simply mute a call by press the button between the volume keys present on the right hand side of the phone. Press it again to cancel the mute.
  • REMAP THE KEYS – There are times when you feel certain keys on the E71 are being wasted when they could have come in very handy. For example, the volume keys would work wonderfully with the web browser to scroll pages or in your music player and the mute key could work as select. Make that happen.
  • TIME & DATE – When the phone is in the locked state and the screen is blank, hit the Navi Button to display the time and date in a large font.
  • TEXT MESSAGES – When in the standby mode, hold down left soft key to read out new text messages.
  • ASSIGN SHORTCUTS -  If you have a lot of applications installed on your E71, you might want to assign additional shortcuts to different applications by definying a set of keypresses with an application called Cute Keys. Learn how here.

As a follow up to the above tips, here are a few shortcuts that you should enjoy. I have highlighted some of the lesser known ones.

GENERAL

• To get to a symbol or number hold down its key.
  • Shift + Backspace deletes letters after the cursor, thus immitating the behavior of the ‘Delete’ key on the computer.
  • In the Main Menu:
    A B C D
    E F G H
    I J K L

To open A press 1, 2 for B, 3 for C, * for D, 4 for E, 5 for F and so on.

• Fn + Ctrl + C to copy.
  • Fn + Ctrl + V to paste.
  • Shift + Left ( or Right ) to select text.
  • Ctrl + Up for page up.
  • Ctrl + Down for page down.
  • Ctrl + Vowels ( or n ) for accented characters like á or ñ.

CAMERA

• T to focus.

GALLERY

• Green Call to send the image.
  • Fn + * for full screen.
  • Fn + 7 to zoom in. Press twice for the full screen size.
  • Fn + 4 to scroll left while in the zoomed image.
  • Fn + 5 to zoom in.
  • Fn + 3 to rotate right.
  • Fn + 2 to scroll up while in the zoomed image.
  • Fn + 1 to rotate left.
  • Fn + 0 to zoom out.

STANDBY

• Hold * to activate/deactivate Bluetooth.
  • Hold 0 to go to the web browser.
  • Left Soft Key then Fn ( or * ) locks the keypad.
  • Hold End/Red to disconnect all data connections.
  • Hold Left Soft Key to read out new text messages.

MAIL

• Shift + Return to mark/unmark a single message.
  • Shift + Down to mark multiple items.
  • Fn + Spacebar in new message body to access input (predictive text, etc.) options.

MAPS

• Shift to zoom in.
  • Backspace to zoom out.
  • Space to go to the current position.

REAL PLAYER

• Fn + 2 for full screen.
  • Hold Up for fast forward.
  • Hold Down for rewind.

WEB

• 1 for bookmarks.
  • 2 to find something on a page.
  • 3 to return to the previous page.
  • 5 to tab open windows.
  • * to zoom in.
  • # to zoom out.
  • 8 for page overview.
  • 9 to go to a different web page.
  • 0 to got to the homepage.
  • Hit the Backspace key to close the current window.

The above compilation contains some of my own discoveries along with information from here, here and here. Have more tips/tricks to share? Make sure you put them down in the comments section.

• Ricky said:

Excellent walkthrough, Vaibhav, and thanks so much for the multiple links. :) Looking forward to seeing more useful posts like this from you in the new year!

• E71 Tips And Tricks From The Symbian Blog | E71Blog.com said:

[...] Vaibhav has written out the various keypad shortcuts for different applications. Head on over to The Symbian Blog to get the full list. Posted in HowTo’s/Walkthroughs January 02nd, 2009 | 11:57 [...]

• stoinov said:

Almost all of these shortcuts work the same way in E51, and I guess most of them are universal for series 60.
    Also if you hold the mute key anywhere it activate voice commands.

Ricky, thanks! Will surely give it my best shot! :)

• goat said:

STANBY
    hold # key to switch to silenced/normal

in message menus
    hold shift + soft key left to copy
    hold shift + soft key left to paste

discovered by myself

• goat said:

sorry I’ve typed wrong the copy and paste stuff.

hold shift + soft key left to copy
    hold shift + soft key RIGHT to paste

THAT’S RIGHT NOW.

• Nokia Daily News - 01/02/09 | Nokia Daily News said:

[...] The Symbian Blog – Must know tips and tricks for the E71 [...]

• iPhone 3G » Blog Archive » E71 Tips And Tricks From The Symbian Blog said:

[...] ASSIGN SHORTCUTS -  If you have a lot of applications installed on your E71, you might want to assign additional shortcuts to different applications by definying a set of keypresses with an application called Cute Keys. Learn how here. In addition to this, Vaibhav has written out the various keypad shortcuts for different applications. Head on over to The Symbian Blog to get the full list. [...]

• Your Ultimate Guide To E71 Tips & Tricks | nokianewphone said:

[...] in one neat list. He put together an extensive E71 shortcut & tips post, which can be found by clicking here. Vaibhav even included my “1-800-WHATEVER” tip that I showed you all a few weeks [...]

• Peter said:

Thank you for this overview. I own a E71 and like it pretty much, but I also have to say that the shortcuts are pretty weak especially within the mailing application. I wish there where shortcuts for reply, mark one message as read, mark all messages as read and so on. Nokia should have taken advantage, that the E71 has so many keys (Blackberry shows the way here).

• MMAS said:

WEB

on a QWERTZ keyboard:
    y – to go back one site

on a QWERTY keyboard:
    z – to go back one site

• phate said:

In any text entry field (e.g. email, notes, sms) use:

* Shift + Chr – to quickly change predictive text language (without going thru menu like in with Fn+Space shortcut).

• WOM World / Nokia » Blog Archive - Handy E71 shortcuts said:

[...] great list of keypress shortcuts for the E71 has been published by Vaibhav Sharma over at The Symbian Blog that’ll be sure to save you [...]

• Mike Macias said:

Great article! Thanks for the link. E71 fans would love these tips.

• Nokia E71 - The Super Power | The S60 Blog said:

[...] all the E71 users head out to Vaibhav’s The Symbian blog for Tips and Tricks for E71 users. Don’t be selfish – [...]

• Ebie said:

Hi there
    Just got myself the e71 and very impressed.
    ALso, I read that gmail accounts are nor very detailed when using teh e71 in that you dont get details within the mail.

WHat email account do you suggest I open so that I can get details of the mail content sent to my phone too?

Thanks
    Ebie

Ebie, Gmail works perfectly with the E71, I personally use it. As far as email on the E71 goes, you have many options such as the default S60 Email setup. It can check for email after every x minutes, but it won’t download the mail automatically. It also supports HTML display.

Then there is Nokia Email – https://email.nokia.com/ a semi push email solution.

There are other push email providers such as Emoze (http://www.emoze.com/) and Seven (http://www.seven.com/) also.

Of course, the free Gmail java app works well too and is a must have.

Hope this helps.

• Jim said:

Great information – thank you!

• SPRING said:

This is my first Nokia phone. I’ve had it 3 weeks. I am trying to figure out a way to add a contacts phone number to a meeting in the calendar with out manually looking it up each time.

Example: If I have John Doe listed in my contacts, and I schedule a meeting with him in my calendar, is there a way to insert his phone number in the subject line via his contact info??

I notice that if I do manuualy look up the number and insert it in the subject line, it give you an option to call the number.

Has anyone figured this out?

• Sue said:

Please help! I have an E71, for months now, love it!, and can’t figure out how to send Documents that I’ve created on the E71 with Quickoffice over to my Macbook via syncing. I can only Sync ICAL and Address Book.

Please tell me how to send over the Docs and anything else that is possible with a Mac.

Thanks!
    Sue

• Michael said:

Thanks for this list.

I have an E71 for work. It is easily the worst user experience of any smart phone on the market. Want proof? Someone had to write this post. And these are not “Tips and Tricks” but general functions, which should be completely unnecessary to detail in a post if the UX were even modestly intuitive.

• Sue said:

I disagree. I used it for business, worldwide, for pdf’s, word, personal and business email, worldwide internet radio (amazing), and did a lot of research before I bought it. I actually had it shipped to me from Asia, unlocked, because I knew what I was buying. This phone is not only a blackberry killer, but an iphone killer.

As for the document transfer, I know it’s possible, just don’t have time to run all over the place for the answer.

The E71 is the BEST corporate smartphone on the planet. Oh, and has the most advanced data encryption software on the planet as well, also HUGE for corporate.

• Sue said:

I should have said “use” it, not “used’ it. I don’t see anything coming along to better it. Even the new Palm touch, that made Yahoo’s home page today, won’t come close. Corporate HATES touch. Tactile is the only way to go and the E71 also has the best qwerty on the market.

• Sue said:

Sorry, I also should have said that sending all sorts of files FROM my Macbook TO my E71 is easy, via bluetooth, and extremely fast. Like I said, it’s the best smartphone on the planet right now, and probably will be for awhile to come, other than Nokia outdoing themselves. ; )

• Sue said:

Hey Michael, are you sure you’re not working for a competitor? LOL

• Hans said:

Sue, what _free_ software do you use for PDF on the E71?

• Sue said:

Hi Hans,

It came with an Adobe Reader installed.

• dy said:

u can press and hold the * to toggle on/off the bluetooth.

• zing said:

is there a way where i can put my phone on SILENT MODE using a shortcut.. without having to press on the Switch Off button and setting “silent profile”

10x

• MN said:

hi guys
    just got myself a nokia E71 and like Sue did some “lookaround” before deciding the piece. I am pretty impressed with it.
    Only painpoints were using the nokia maps in india. The thing takes ages to give the satelite status.
    Another help i need is – how does one clear list of “recently played files” from the real player.? I deleted the files but they still appear on the “recently played videos” list.

• chris said:

Zing, you just hold the ‘#’ key, which is the same as the J key.
    hold it once to select silent, hold it again to select general. it alternates between the two.

• MMAS said:

With the latest E71-firmware the shortcut in RealPlayer for full screen has changed from “Fn + 2″ to “space-bar”.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

• Axmat said:

I updated the latest firmware software of my nokia e71, but some keys are not working. what should i do……………

• Dodot said:

Hi!

I don’t own an E71 but I do own an E63, and most of these tricks work for my phone as well. Thanks for posting this! :)

• Keyboard shortcuts make the E71 an efficient device | Nokia Experts said:

[...] a TON of shortcuts available to make you even more efficient. Vaibhav Sharma post some very helpful Tips & Tricks for the E71 that you should check out. A while ago I also posted on several Nokia Email shortcuts that you may [...]

• Max Waterman said:

Having RealPlayer continue playing in the background.

I found it very annoying that RealPlayer would stop playing when I switched from it to some other application. I often use it to listen to live BBC radio stations.

However, by chance, I found out, if I switch away from it while it is doing its ‘loading …..’ part, then it will still play, even though it’s not visible.

To stop it playing, I have to switch back to Web (I usually launch RealPlayer from Web) which makes it visible again; however, sometimes the soft keys have no menus by them, so I have to switch away again, which stops the player. Of course, I can always select it in the task menu and hit delete, which will kill the whole application – if that’s what I want to do (sometimes not).

• clementine said:

Thanks so much for these!

• E71 Keyboard Shortcuts | Vasanth Dharmaraj's Blog said:

[...] more information at [thesymbianblog.com] [e71fanatics.com] Share and [...]

• E71 Keyboard Shortcuts | E71 Blog said:

[...] – Zoom in. Backspace – Zoom out. Space – Current position. Find more information at [thesymbianblog.com] [e71fanatics.com] [...]

• Johan said:

Is there a function that selects the number keys only; when writing e-mails/notes etc I always have to long press the key to get the number characters- I cant find a function to lock and select numbers only ?

• Delta737 said:

Yes, press the key in left lower corner. Double press too hold (as Vaibhav has already described)

• Johan said:

Thanks Delta – works now – I was playing around with the wrong key…

Johan
    Buenos Aires/Argentina

• Niti said:

Is there anyone khow on how to set up Ringtone to silence just only for some contact group? I forgot the way to do that, please recall me.

• shmok said:

dunno if someone mentioned this one already, i find it extremely useful:

hold “home”-button in order to see which apps are running and switch between these.
    press backspace if you want to close an app.

• rishi said:

Hi

I use E71 for my business purpose and it was faring excellent until last week…. since last week my contact list is blank and am not able to get any solution to resolve it and its really sad…. Access to contact list is so critical to my business, dnt know who can help me out now!!!!! Anybody there?

Rgrds,

• ORNOT2 said:

Anyone know the step-by-step process to set up a webmail account so I can sync my E71 with my company’s Exchange? Currently using the latest Exchange program from Nokia and I am tired of the passcode non-sense every 15 minutes. Thanks!

• Alps said:

Hi

For some reason i cant view my contact list, it seems to apper all blank.

I have tried restoring the factory settings and also removing the battery and sim card overnite but it still doesnt work.

Can anybody please help me urgently as i cant stay without my contact list?

Thanks

• Sanjay M said:

excellent article – really useful for me! thanks a ton – will write some tips myself on my usage so far and then will definitely link to this really useful page!

Thanks mate!

• Jimmya said:

This is great, a simple walk thru to an amazing piece of technological whizzadry!! I have a query though, is it possible to use gmail chat on the E71? Please let me know…

• Kulothesis said:

Hi Bro,

Great Article on the new NOKIA E71. Very Useful and yet can’t wait to start playing around with my E71.
    Thanks,

• cindy said:

How do i set a signature on the SMS text messages? Thanks

• Rui Goncalves said:

you need to have the “now playing” screen saver for the navi button shortcut (to show the time) to work!

• Wael Gad said:

In my E71 I need to delete on entry from the call log and not to delete the whole log, any ideas?

• Daniel Fernandes said:

Thanks a lot for the useful tops and tricks. Nokia E71 is one of the best cell phone. Features, design and performance is excellent. Will surely follow your tips and enjoy using it.

• Laura said:

I set up my gmail, but I have more than one gmail account, and I’m having trouble figuring out how to set it up to receive email from more than one account. Help?

Thanks for all the great tips!

• nathalie said:

Hi,
    Sorry to ask but this is my first smartphone. I googled and checked the manual and asked other e71 users.. What/where is the left soft key? Is it the buttons four sides of the Navi key? Cuz when I press the left side (while phone is locked- that’s standby right?) the text messages don’t display. So I think it’s another click altogether.
    Thanks for any help :-)
    Nathalie

• Amara said:

My E71 use to display a shortcut whenever i got a new message or missed call at the bottom of the screen. For some reason (I think I change the settings) it does not do this anymore and I don’t know how to get it back! Anyone know how to??? It was a very useful shortcut!

• Antonio Cezar, olocutor.com said:

Hi. I have an E61 and I want to migrate for E71, but I am with a doubt regarding key CTRL. In E61, using CTRL + B-Pad (joystick) left or right in a text editor, manage to navigate input words, but do not am sure I go to get the same thing, pressuring FN + CTrL + B-pad, or still 2 times FN, after CTRL + B-pad. Please, help me with that. Thanks and apologize me, that I do not speak English and use Google to translate.

• tommot said:

fn + ctrl + A [Select All text eg: messaging... etc]

• dotKOM said:

hi,

i have recently bought E71,

wanted to know if anybody could help

i am unable to play songs (which are stored in the memory card) from music player, could anybody tell if i can creat a playlist for the songs stored in memory card?

thanks

• Godofsix said:

My E71 is not accepting symbian applications, pls how do i solve d problem

• James Jihan said:

fn + ctrl A, to select all text

• arima said:

i want more….

• reetz said:

Hello
    Until recently I was able to open up my attachments on my E71 but now it asks me for a password?

Could you give some advice please.

Thank you.

• manjunath said:

hey,
    while msgin hold fn key and press space key to activate predictive text

• Nokia E63,E71,E72 Key shortcuts said:

[...] : http://thehandheldblog.com/2009/01/02/must-know-tips-tricks-for-the-e71/ You may also likeSun virtual Box Full ScreenTwitter ShortcutsFree Linux CD, Ubuntu,Fedora [...]

• mbs said:

Hello Friends,

Is there any way to restore the deleted txt msgs for nokai E71

• vl said:

Tips n Tricks For Your Nokia is a symbian application that includes many tips and tricks.

• christian said:

I love my nokia e71. Once you learn of these shortcuts they are quite intuitive. It’s just simply pathetic that I had to search google to learn of them!!! Why aren’t these included in the manual for the phone? Or the help menu??? why would nokia keep such intuitive shortcuts hidden from users?

• Umar said:

I’ve used all kinds of phones. The Nokia E71 has brought contentment into my life! It just has everything you need to get through life. It is one of those phones that you can have for ages and still never feel like you should go running after a new one! I’ve had it for 2 years now and its in perfect working condition after all the retarded things that have happened to it!. I recommend you use a rubber or plastic cover. The ones that hug the phone n leave the front open. Last week it fell and a van ran over it! It was face down..nervously I picked it up and turned it..and this is what i saw on the screen ‘ads;fkgjndfsa###snfsa’ lol THIS PHONE ROCKS! Contemporary is an understatement!

• meghan said:

in response to Umar

hahahahahaahahahaaha talk about A.I. this phone has it…. id probably cuss to if i were ran over by a car….. hahahahahahaha

• Hacker said:

Theres a lot to find in E71…………
    Wat u alll hav found is toooooo simple……….
    so try smthng much intrstng……….

• CYRIL MEDINA said:

could you please send me a copy of E71 tips and tricks to my email account.

Thanks & Kind Regards

• farhan kamal said:

sir will you tell me what is
    fn key
    where is soft key
    navi key
    cute keys
    where to get emails from :P its my first smart phone so plzzz help mee

• farhan kamal said:

real player
    space for full screen

hold * for bluetooth on/off
    holf # for silent/genera; mode

• UTKARSH AGARWAL said:

IS THERE ANY SHORTCUT TO OPEN SETTINGS USING KEYPAD IN NOKIA E71.
    OF ONE KNOW TELL ME