How To Change The Product Code On A N97 & Nokia 5800
Following on from my previous post about the Nemesis Service Suite (NSS) update which brings compatibility with the latest Nokia devices including S60 5th Edition and Windows 7 is this brief tutorial which explains how to change the product code on a Nokia device in order to update the firmware.
This tutorial should be valid for all Nokia devices and not just the N97, which I have used to demo the procedure. In order to get started, all you need is:
- A Windows machine.
- A copy of the NSS Suite which you can get here, or use this direct link.
- A USB cable to connect the phone to the computer.
- The device itself.
HOW TO CHANGE THE PRODUCT CODE
- Simply connect your device to the computer in the ‘PC Suite’ mode.
- Install (use the default configuration, i.e. just keep clicking next during installation) and fire up NSS. You should see the following screen.
- Simply click the lens as shown in the picture above.
- You will see the above screen, next click on ‘Phone Info’ situated next to the top left corner.
- In the ‘Phone Info’ screen, click ‘Read’ to bring up your current product code, HW version etc.
- Next simply click ‘Enable’ next to the product code.
- Fill in the desired product code, I have used a fictitious ’111111′. Please make sure you fill in the right product code e.g. filling in a NAM product code when your device is a Euro model can cause serious damage when you update. Now press ‘Write’.
- Nothing will appear to have happened, but your product code would have been changed. To verify hit ‘Read’ once again.
- That’s it. You have now changed your product code and can fire up the Nokia Software Updater to get the latest firmware.
Please note that I or The Symbian Blog will not be responsible for any damage or liability that results from the above procedure. Please do so at your own risk. Happy updating! If you are wondering about the advantages or disadvantages of updating, look this post up.
If you enjoyed this post, then be sure to subscribe to our Full Feed RSS. You can also Subscribe via Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.Share: