Home » Applications, Featured, Headline, Symbian

How To Sign Unsigned Files On A S60 3rd/5th Edition Device Itself

By - On 4 July 2009 85 Comments

Following on from the previous tutorial which showed you how to get a developer certificate (to sign unsigned applications) quickly, is this guide which shows you how to sign it on the phone itself without the need of a computer.

This should especially be useful for people like me who own a Mac, for which there is no signing application, or for those who appreciate the convenience. I will be using a N97 to demonstrate the application, but the process remains exactly the same for any other 3rd Edition or 5th Edition device.

HOW TO SIGN UNSIGNED APPS ON YOUR S60 3rd/5th EDITION DEVICE LIKE E71 OR N97

REQUIRMENTS:

• A S60 3rd Edition or 5th Edition device.
  • A freeware called ‘Free Signer’ which you can download here.

INITIAL SETUP:

• Install the application on the phone memory or the memory card/inbuilt storage.
  • Open ‘Free Signer‘, select options and then Settings.

How To: Sign Unsigned Files On A S60 3rd/5th Edition Device

• Come to the fourth option, ‘Sign Cert’ and click on it, then navigate to where you have placed the .cer file on your phone and select it.

How To: Sign Unsigned Files On A S60 3rd/5th Edition Device

• Do the same for the .key file. You should now see a screen like the following one.

How To: Sign Unsigned Files On A S60 3rd/5th Edition Device

• Next simply hit ‘Back’. You are now ready to sign unsigned applications on the phone itself. Please note that you will need to do the above only once.

SIGNING APPLICATIONS:

• In order to sign a unsigned file present on the phone, click on ‘Add Task’ and navigate to where the application is located. Once you reach the file, hit ‘Options’ and select ‘Add’.

How To: Sign Unsigned Files On A S60 3rd/5th Edition Device

• You will then be presented with the following screen, simply select ‘Sign Sis’ from the options.

How To: Sign Unsigned Files On A S60 3rd/5th Edition Device

• The file will show up, waiting to be signed. To sign it, simply hit ‘Options’ and then ‘Go!’.

How To: Sign Unsigned Files On A S60 3rd/5th Edition Device

• That’s it, your unsigned application will now be signed without you needing to use a computer. You will be able to find the signed file in the same location as the original application. A ‘_signed.sisx’ extension would have been added so that you can easily identify the file you can now install.

To sign another application you will only need to follow the steps under ‘Signing Applications’ and not have to do the ‘Initial Setup’ again.

• manojlds said:

I dont know about 5, but there is no need for such things in 3, if you know what i mean..maybe its blackhat, but hey, this signing sucks..and yeah, just use secman for the job

• S R said:

unable to install the free signer application on my mobile.. says “expired cert” tried changing the date still not of any help…

• N97 said:

Great post!

Get cert from Chinese web site using imei
    freesigner to sign unsigned app on the phone itself

thanks you so much,

I have a question, by using your technics, will the cert expire sometime in the future?

I heard about the helloox , what is that????

• MOON said:

To sign another application what are the steps to follow, i need to sign unsign 2 life its getting so erro. (steps under ‘Signing Applications) means

• MOON said:

To sign another application what are the steps to follow, i need to sign unsign second file. (steps under ‘Signing Applications) means

• MOON said:

what is means under ‘Signing Applications’

• Howard C said:

I’ve got myself the developer cert and followed your instruction to install it on my N82 (firmware 31.0.016)but the options of the Freesigner is different from yours.
    Self sign cert:
    self sign key:
    Self sign key pass:
    Sign cert:

There are 2 problems:
    (1)How come I have ‘SELF sign cert’ and you don’t
    (2) I have 4 options to match:
    cert.cer, key.key (in C) and imobile.key, imobile.cer (in E)
    I couldn’t find the right match because when I try to sign x-plore there is an error message:
    E:\Installs|X-plore_S60.sis
    Open certificate /key file error.

Pls help!

• JacD said:

Thx man… it worked on my non hacked nokia 5800…. wanted to install gameloft asphalt buh it was unsigned.. so was looking for many days how to do things.. got my opda cer today only.. and ur tutorial helped a lot …
    thx and its confirmed its workin thx again :)

• naypalm said:

Excellent writeup! This program worked like a charm for a program I wanted to have installed. Here’s a video I based off of this walk through : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIgvUkqTAT4

• rollo said:

Hello man

I have installed the signer application and now have my key and cert.
    I configured the signer but when i try to sign app it doesn’t work

This is the log output:
    E:\Others\Aplicationname.sis
    Open sis/sisx file error

Can you please help me?

Thanks in advance

• Philip said:

did as tutorial says and works a treat on my nokia e63

• naypalm said:

@ rollo,

I believe you mistook “Self-Sign Cert” and “Self-Sign Key” for ‘Sign-Cert’ and ‘Sign-Key’. Try scrolling down a bit more and then add the appropriate files to each ‘Sign-Cert’ and ‘Sign-Key’.

• Damion said:

You can sign on a Mac http://www.martin.st/symbian/ I believe the author of this website uses a Mac. I use a Linux kernel based OS, but I’m sure you can compile signsis. You can run wine signsis.exe in MacOS even if you have issues compiling the native binary.

I find using a computer to search for stuff and sign via the computer tools much easier than faffing with an app on the phone itself.

Have you tried defining the location of the cert files? The free signer doesn’t detect anything on its own.

• Sunny said:

God bles u 4 ur contrbtn to humanity, but plz i ve registrd wit OPDA, how can i see my signinig number & certifict number? thanks

• Ammer said:

1–i have done all this steps of the free signer but after i begin installation it says certificate error.
    2–i have downloaded this chinese website thing and after unzipping i have a programme called signtool.exe
    can some one tell me the steps again please???

• condde said:

hello!!

I’ve got my certificate in the chinese website. There are 2 rar files to download. I’ve donwload both, and none of them as the .cer and .key file. The 2 rar as 2 files .exe and a url..

Any ideas? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

• userrrr said:

Hey. I need some help! The problem is, that I cant install the Hello0×2. I simply CANT! I am trying to get a signed Hello0×2 for over a 5 hours now! I am VERY VERY VEEEEERY fcking angry becouse ITS JUST NOT WORKING OMFG !!!!!

• Faizan said:

tHis iS vEry uSeful wAy tO signEd anY file
    i H’ve tRy iT oN mY n-81
    & iT’s vEry eaSy waY
    tHanxs Alot

• Ean said:

I got file wich is already sis. but its unsigned.
    I followed the steps but its says error in operation.
    Its eyecall prog but its unsigned.
    Can any1 help plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz?

Thanks in advance

• sam said:

same problem even i am going with bro the certificate i got from chinese site contains only .exe and url any plans how to go along with this
    And ya thanks for all those language transition

• heshan said:

I got a cert and key from the ehandy site and tried signing the adobe pdfreader but it still says 15 days trial period:(
    Need help plzzz!!!

• movanns said:

Hello TS,
    I cannot install file with .sisx extension on my Nokia 5800.
    I did follow all the steps above and when the new file created, it comes with .sisx.

Please help

• AJ Lawson said:

Hi, I have followed the instructions given up until you have add the file that you want to sign. I don’t have the file on my phone and I don’t know how to put on my phone. How do I get an unsigned file onto my phone in order to sign it? thanks.

• anynomuos said:

heshan said:

Need help plzzz!!!

its yor software’s license ok..!

• anynomuos said:

AJ Lawson said:

which file you are asking about..?
    and which phone you hve

• anynomuos said:

you may try this

its an online signing tool,..!
    hope it works…! ;)

• Faggot48 said:

But let us be clear: al-Qaeda killed nearly 3,000 people on that day. ,

• Gangster99 said:

Whatever methods we use to teach skills and knowledge at the professional stage involve us in many assumptions about how we learn professional skills, knowledge and values, what we learn and why, and what we expect students and trainees to do with that learning. ,

• nico said:

I sign my application on this site: http://www.noubis.com/sign-app-phone.php
    and it works it’s great

• Fash said:

I have installed the program on my N97 and it works with key and cert that I got from OPDA, I followed the steps and then I got the signed program on my phone but the signed program has still the problem and I have the message ‘certificate error’ like the unsigned program. I also tried to copy the signed program on my computer and install it from pc but the problem is the same. please tell what is the problem?

• How To Hack Your Device | Nokiasaga said:

[...] Sign the application with a 17 capability developer certificate which you can easily get by following this post. Next sign the application on the phone itself, using the Free Signer application. [...]

• dreaslan said:

Thanks everyone. I managed to get my cert through chinese website with online thing. So it works!And installed the freesigner on my n97. However, when I try to sign, say, Kaspersky, I get a message saying
    “Errors found in operation. Logs are write to C:\Data\FreeSigner\FreeSigner.log ” I get the same msg when I try to sign other unsigned programs. How can I solve this problem?
    Thanks in advance

• mjk 5530 said:

yea same problem occured it says:C:\Data\FreeSigner\FreeSigner.log..
    Please help

• gonzroman said:

Hi

I follow all the instructions to obtain cert and key in the chinese website. And after waiting 1 day, I obtained two files. But there’s no cert and key inside. Only .exe. Two applications “signtool.exe” for the PC.

Any sugestions? Thanks

Best regards

• Ed05Sux said:

same problem as gonzroman. Big pain in the neck. any other way?

• Mobile Royale » 100 Resources for Symbian Users said:

[...] any damage. But posting/ giving away your IMEI is NOT recommended as it could be abused. ) 34. Signing Applications on the phone itself Themes Sources 35. Symbian Themes – Themes directory 36. Tehk Seven – Individual themer who has [...]

• 100 Resources for Symbian Users | Nokiasaga said:

[...] 30. What is signing ? 31. Symbian Signed 32. How to Sign Unsigned Applications 33. How to get a Developer Certificate ( Note : This has so far not been reported to have caused any damage. But posting/ giving away your IMEI is NOT recommended as it could be abused. ) 34. Signing Applications on the phone itself [...]

• alex said:

thank you nico this site works really well

• Jack Rimons said:

Please help, I can’t install it on my N97 mini, “expired certificate” error

• 100 Resources for Symbian Users | Nokiasaga said:

[...] Signing Applications on the phone itself [...]

• Gimm said:

http://isign.imobile.com.cn/ – this site no longer gives the .cert or .key files instead what it gives now is a free signing tool using the computer. In short, it only gives a .exe format. And yeah it works but I need the .cert and the .key so I can sign applications using my phone through the FreeSigner. Can you help me?

• Masudparves said:

Thanx, it works. b sure to use the cer and key file made for ur own IMI number. thanx

• V K said:

you wested my 20 min, this application can not download in my mobile,please remove your app from web save people time

• ej said:

uhm ive downloaded the freesigner but cant install it it says that certificate already expired.. what should i do?

• TCP said:

AWESOME GUIDE!!! :D Thanx very very much for this wonderful guide on how to sign SIS on phone! :D I couldn’t do it before, but now, I’m rocking, ALL thanx to you!! :D THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH! :D

• Luke said:

Ok I just hacked my N97 using unsigned HelloOX2.

For those that wondering what to do with the 2 .exe files from imobile, basically you don’t need it, you can get your software signed online using imobile, I signed my HelloOX2 online this way.
    1. After you got confirmation that your Imei has been “signed”.
    2. Click on the next BLUE tap (which is the 3rd one), you will see a BLUE button icon with a pencil, click on that icon.
    3. Browse the file that you wished to sign, in this case HelloOX2.
    4. then click the GREEN button, wait a bit for the file to be generated.
    5. Click on the RED hyperlink Chinese charaters to download the signed version (not the 2 green buttons).
    Once you got the HelloOX2.sisx, transfer it to your mobile and installed it, there is no need to sign anythings again

• rahul said:

hi guys i am stuck up with free sign application..it says certificate expired when i tried to install it in my device…any help….i have already requested for the cert file and wil b getting it soon but pliz help me with the free sign application

• Exclusive: Get The Original Nokia Podcasting On The E72/E52/E55 | Symbian-Guru.com said:

[...] Sign it by getting a certificate for your own IMEI using our Symbian-Guru tutorial (personally, I skip the last step that uses SignSis on a PC and do it directly on my phone using this FreeSigner and this helpful tutorial by TheSymbianBlog). [...]

• rahul32111 said:

is it safe to leak your imei to the chinese website

Not really. There have been cases where Chinese phones have IMEI numbers belonging to devices from other manufacturers. But they have been rare. So its your call.

• Exclusive: Get The Original Nokia Podcasting On The E72/E52/E55/E71x | Bestel uit china said:

[...] Sign it by removing a obligation for your own IMEI regulating our Symbian-Guru tutorial (personally, we jump over a final step which uses SignSis upon a Personal Computer as good as do it without delay upon my phone regulating this FreeSigner as good as this beneficial educational by TheSymbianBlog). [...]

• Eg-Virus said:

I Can’t install the FreeSigner,it givs expired Cert

what’s the problem and what i can do

• Tariq said:

First of all THANK YOU for this wonderful post and thanks to all the ppl who have contributed to this post. God bless you! :)

** For guys who were able to download the signtool2.exe you just need to follow below points:

1. run the app and give ur user name and click ok (this is the same user name which you used for the LOGIN of chinese website).

2. select the folder where you want the new patched file to be placed.

3. select the file which you want to patch and click ok.

4. a mesage will appear – and the new file will be save in the folder.

5. Just copy that file to ur cell and run the app – YOU dont need to use freesigner at all…

6. thers is a video for this tool which is not cerated by me but i found out on some site and will be helpful here…
    video link: (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QHHNMF03)

It is an swf file and will open with SWF player (http://www.unhsolutions.net/SWF-Opener/index.html)

Thanks :)

• Freddie said:

Why I follow the steps……. then still unable to install the signed file? It say: “Unable to instal due to certificate constrain”……. ??? why? mine is an unhacked X6

• The Symbian Blog » Blog Archive » How To Hack Your Device In Under 5 Minutes said:

[...] every time you want to install something that’s not Symbian Signed is a bit of a pain, yes it can be done on the phone but if you want to completely rid yourself of this hassle then hacking your device is the best way [...]

• amvvip said:

PLEASE NOTE:

CHANGE YOUR PHONE DATE TO 1/1/2009 TO INSTALL FREESIGNER!

HOPE I CAN HELP!!

• Elias said:

How about signing apps without additional software? Like via OPDA? http://www.elias-lange.de/how-to-sign-install-unsigned-symbian-s60-apps/

• Adnan said:

Thanx,,,, Work with my E72-1 SW: 031.023 (Made in China)

• nkkkkk said:

where i got my certificate and key?

• Thomas said:

Technical threads like these are the reason there are 5000 symbian apps – and 120.000 iphone apps. The “Signature” and “certificate” concept’s lack of usability is the main reason for the fail of Symbian.

• chelcii said:

it says expired certi. can u plz do it again..i realy realy need this.

• Kate Simpson said:

It is rather interesting for me to read the post. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

Kate Simpson
    escort sexy

• bmsanu said:

I can’t sign on my Nokia 5530 XpressMusic. Plz some help me. I wanna install Adobe Reader LE 2.5

• satish2k9 said:

hi … some 1 help me for iphone keyboard on my N5800 XM … its getting certificate error .. etc…. :-P i like that app … some 1 help em to install it…

• Raj said:

Good.
    But Instead Of doing that stuff in Chinese Website,
    You Could get the certificate and key from http://cer.opda.cn/en/
    I Got my certificate and Key Right After Submitting The Details.
    The Website is in English And Very Easy To Use.
    Good Luck.

• Shadow said:

if it “expired certificate”, just changed the date to 2009, work for me

• Adi said:

Hello,

i bought Nokia n900. first there was a battery prob. now its solved.

But please please please kindly tell me how to run (sis),(exe),(sisx) etc files on Nokia n900.

because i need to install it on my mobile… please please it very important. Is there any one who can guide me….please.

Thanks

• Fabricio said:

Does it work on nokia n8?

• Atlas Pasta Machine said:

I work within internet marketing on the product side, so it?s excellent to be able to gain more understanding of how affiliate marketers are going for their products, although I highly believe you’re a uncommon one who takes into account the requirements of their site visitors.

• Jayasri Banerjee said:

helloo frndz finally its a story of success..im so overwelmed 2 sign a unsignd file which was my dream..its nt enough 2 thank u simran..
    Only thing tht i need 2 tel u frnd,
    1.apply for cer. and .key from dis address http://cer.opda.cn/en/index.php?module=certificate&action=my& and
    2.then go 2 its help secsn.thr r clearly told with screen shot how to get these.NO PROBLEM of chinese language nd unziping.its a soothing experience.
    3.download using uc web 4m ur s60v5/v3 mobl.
    4.download signed freesigner 4m mobile9.com
    5.follow the free signer related steps as mentiond here.
    All d best!

• Jayasri Banerjee said:

It wl work for al s60v5 nd v3 phs.n8 s a s60v5.just go 2 d site man i mentioned,register, apply 4 certificate, submit ur imei, wait 24hours,again go 2 that site nd login nd click on my cirtificate.ur .cer and .key wil b presentd thr.just download them. Note here,my phs default browsr cudnt download those.i downloaded them thru UC WEB. Then download nd instal “signed free signer” 4m mobile9.com Then follow as per the above article.plz gv feedback here if possbl.

• Prince said:

I am getting a message expired certificate while installing freesigner please help..

• Mahesh said:

Wonderful tutorial ! I really appreciate your work !!

• dan man said:

Hello TS,
    I cannot install file with .sisx extension on my Nokia 5800.

Please help- windows tech support

• Amin said:

Check this man !! Easiest Ever & Working.
    Your Matter Will be Solved

• kennycut said:

Av done everything and it work but anytime i try to sign heloOx dis’s wat i always get “Erroros found in operation. Logs are write to C:\Date\FreeSigner\FreeSigner.log” dis’s wat i always get pls help me.Thanks

• rhamz said:

how can i get cer.s603rd for nokia x6 16BG

• rhamz said:

bt how can i get the cer.s603rd for nokia x6

• vaibhav said:

hey guys from where can i get .cer and .key file I’ve been trying this
    for past month on different website like opda, s60cer, imobile, etc
    but on all these sites request was shown just pending and its been more than 10 days since i have applied for cer and key file on these sites

plz help i’ve got nokia 5800 and i really wanna run some unsigned apps on it after signing them

• jeffrey said:

i need to know what file the mute app goes into to then acess it on the nokia e-500 to then mute the video an camera rec fuction tones. you can get back to me at: ghostr@shaw.ca victoria bc canada

• Tony said:

I got this to work to put the Mute phone app onto a Nokia E5.
    Steps below after about a week and lots of dead ends!
    Done late Jan 2012
    1. Download the Mute sis file from

2. Join the new OKI store development site that is meant to make everything easier.
    Here you pay a 1 euro fee with credit card to join.
    Then you send them an email as per the instructions.
    then they send you a bunch of files including
    a filed named NOKIA_2012-01-18.crt
    (I later had to copy and rename this file to NOKIA.cer to get to work)
    and file
    NOMIA_2012-01-18.key
    and a sis file
    TONYCITIZENCERT19JAN2012.sis
    and an acrobat how to install file.
    3. Then I went to this web site

And then to this site to get the feesigner SIS file.

This is an old file so once you get this SIS file on your phone it doesnt work for current date yet.

3. Then tried to load the Installer SIS file
    TONYCITIZENCERT19JAN2012.sis

Didnt work, said installer already exists / developer thing already exists.
    I turned the phone off and on a bunch of times between steps.

So I then went into applications, found the R&D developer application and removed or deleted or uninstalled it.
    Then clicked again in the SIS file

TONYCITIZENCERT19JAN2012.sis

And this time it said installation complete.

Turn phone off and on.

4. Then opened the Freeinstaller file SIS
    BUT to do this I then had to change the PHONE time back to 1.1.2009
    (PS Steps 3 and 4 I actually did the other way around)

Then I click on the SISX file
    that I had dowwnloaded from the web site called
    FreeSigner v.1.00 by junnikokuki.sisx

And with the old DATE then this application loads OK and says installation complete.

Then turn phone off and on and change date back to todays date.

5. Then go into the Freesigner application to SETTINGS and then link the FREE SIGN settings to the two files.
    Had to rename one file

a filed named NOKIA_2012-01-18.crt
    (I later had to copy and rename this file to NOKIA.cer to get to work)
    put this as the CER file, once renamed the file

and file
    NOMIA_2012-01-18.key
    as the KEY FILE

Then within freeisigner select the mute camera sis file using ADD
    mute-camera_signed.sis
    and then the GO! process in the application

and it then gives a positive message and creates a new file with an X on the end
    mute-camera_signed.sisx

And then when I double click on this SISX file it says INSTALLATION complete!
    Then turn phone off and on again and prepare for a few more steps, but
    try the camera and there is no sound!!!!

Now I can take pictures out the window of the train of the boats without annoying
    all my fellow train travellers!

Unbelieveable number of steps to get something done!
    T

• jay said:

Hi thanx for the great post i signed the application to mute my camera sound for E52 but after successfully signed when i tried to install the application an error occurred ‘ certificated not yet be valid .expire or phone date is not set’ i tried many times by changing the phone time and date but all invain so please how can i get rid of it .

help me out

regards

• jay said:

help me out

regards

and thanks in advance

• 5mwa said:

Can i use developer certificate and key for the signing?

I got developercertificate.cer & developercertificate.key

Is it okay to use these 2 for singing??

Thanks!!!