How To Add Super Cool Transitions To The N97
The Symbian UI is generally criticised for not having enough eye candy and even if you turn on the theme effects on the N97, it doesn’t do much. However, for those of you who are fans of slick transitions, I have some good news. You can now add super cool theme effects onto your N97 easily and in under 5 minutes (that’s how long it took me) by following the simple tutorial below and without a computer. But first have a look at this YouTube video I’ve put together demonstrating some of these transition effects.
These transitions are the result of hard and brilliant work put in by DSCOBSCT and DAVEYP187 of SF. The transitions effects come in small packages and you can only use one at a time. Here’s how to get them to work:
- You will need to ‘hack’ your N97. It can be done in under 5 minutes if you have a developer certificate, complete tutorial here.
- Next, download the ‘c2z’ patch from here, extract it and place it in E:Patches.
- Open ROM Patcher from the ‘Applications’ menu (or wherever you have moved it to) and you will see the ‘c2z’ patch. Enable it along with ‘open4all’ from the ‘Options’ menu.
- Download the ‘Swipe’ style package from here or the ‘Zoom’ package from here. You also also choose from other styles at this page.
- Open ‘X-Plore’. If you do not have it, then I recommend downloading it as it features the capability of extracting from ‘rar’ and ‘zip’ files.
- Next, navigate to where you have stored the package on the phone and open it. You will see two folders, ‘effects’ and ‘skins’ irrespective of the package you downloaded.
- Select the two folders and hit Menu>File>Extract To.
- Now, navigate to C:Resource and extract the folder into it.
- Make sure that the folder you have extracted are placed in the ‘Resource’ folder.
- Once that is done, simply exit X-Plore and goto Settings>Themes>General. Select ‘Options’ and toggle ‘Theme Effects’ off/on. Then leave it in the ‘On’ mode and exit.
- You will now have your new effects in place. Enjoy!
TIP: Goto ROM Patcher, select ‘Options’ > ‘Patch’ > ‘Add to auto’ for the ‘c2z’ patch so that you have the transitions enabled everytime you bootup.
As is with all transitions, these also slow the phone down a bit and can cause some stability issues as well, although the ‘Swipe’ package is pretty efficient in these departments. As always, please try this at your own risk.
If you enjoyed this post, then be sure to subscribe to our Full Feed RSS. You can also Subscribe via Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.Share: