The N86 firmware that was suppossed to bring face detection and other improvements and bug fixes is here in the form of v20.115. The update is available OTA (as a 7.5MB download) and also via the Nokia Software Updater. The update brings a speed boost as well as more internal memory (now upto 70MB) and more RAM as well (now upto 65 MB on boot up).
There are also major improvements to the camera, an Ovi Chat shortcut on the homescreen, preloaded Ovi Store client and bug fixes for quite a few other applications. All in all a must perform update. The N86 has user data preservation so you will not loose data when you update.
Here is the complete Nokia N86 8MP v20.115 changelog courtesy All About Symbian:
- Improved still image quality
- Improved video quality
- Face detection added
- Red-eye removal added (Nokia note: “this is image processing which removes the red-eye. You need to be in red-eye reduction flash mode for it to be operational. Other flash modes it is disabled as there is a small shot to shot impact due to the extra image processing.”)
- New focus point indication – this shows where in the scene the camera is focussing
- Improved Close-up focus (Nokia note: “As a result you will find in most situations you can focus much closer than before. The new focus point indication will also help in confirming which part of your subject is used for critical focus checking”)
- Face detection is indicated by a yellow square
Bug fixes to the following applications:
- Music Store Client
- Real Player
- Ovi Maps (including faster calibration of the digital compass)
- Here & Now
- N-Gage Client
- Nokia Messaging
The following has also been added in the update:
- Automatic VoIP re-registration.
- Ovi Chat shortcut on the homescreen
- A new Ovi services splash screen
- An Ovi Store client (although it is quite buggy; selections from the Options menu are problematic)
- An initial option to check for software updates when a customer first boots up the phone.
Head over to AAS for more.