We have just wrapped up the Q&A about the N97’s new 2.0 firmware. We had limited time, so I could unfortunately not get through all the questions that you had asked. With that said, here are the key aspects I’m sure you would like to read about.
- On the reworked RAM management – “We reworked the application memory mapping model, which uses the RAM more efficiently and reduces the memory errors”. It will help third party applications as well.
- On an early and a later build of the v20 firmware being released via the NSU – “There are no different SW versions out! All are the same. But admitting here as well that we had a build problem for our MEA versions, so we needed to re-build those….” (Q’s by Steve from AAS)
- On VOIP/Skype/Internet Radio – “We have already VoIP into PR2.0 and we are working on the Skype to get the best user experience out to the field”. “We are currently evaluating the internet radio feature for N97, but it is still in early phase”. (Q by Micky from Nokia Users)
- On Installing Nokia Messaging & Others on the E: drive – “We have choosen the C: drive, since it has memory paging and therefore makes the apps running faster and smoother”. (Your’s truly)
- On the possibility of Virtual RAM – “With PR2 we have taken big steps to improve the memory handling mechanism and the PR2.0 memory status will allow users to run the apps in a smooth way. Getting virtual RM is not an easy task, we encourage users to install the apps into the big 32Gb memory and not get everything into the C drive”. (Your’s truly)
- On threaded messaging and smiley support: “Our platform is under continues changes and improvements, stay tuned for the next releases, you will love them”. (Q by Ibrahim Jogee from The Nokia Review)
- On the Browser getting numeric shortcuts to options like bookmarks: “With a touch device it is much more easy and convenient to use the finger than using the keypad to get a bookmark started”. (Your’s truly)
There was a bit of discussion on bugs and a few other subject, click through to Nokia Addict for the complete transcript. Our questions were answered by Frank Zillikens and Catalin Gheorghiu from Nokia. Frank headed up the N97 v20 Firmware, and Catalin works on the Firmware Development Team.
I would like to thank both of them for their patience and answers. They have kindly agreed to take more questions, so if there is still something that’s troubling you, please make a note below. Also, they would also like some feedback on the new 2.0 firmware, as Catalin said, “Many of the PR2 improvements came from your ideas, you can see that already”.