There is no call blocking application for the N900 yet, but that hasn’t stopped Vinu Thomas from coming up with a hack that lets you do just that. He clearly mentions that this is a stop gap arrangement until until steps up to create a real application with this functionality. What I’d like is an SMS blocking app as well, as SMS spam has really increased over the last one year or so.
Anyway, if you are being plagued by unwanted callers and have had enough, here’s how to get rid of them.
- The first thing you need is root access. So go ahead and download rootsh from the application manager or use this link.
- Next, if you haven’t installed a Python application in your phone, you’ll need to install maemo-python-device-env from extras-devel (here is how to enable extras-devel with one click).
- Now download this script. Inside the zip is a file callblock.py. Once you open it in notepad or whatever you like, it will look like the picture below.
- Now edit the ‘Blocklist’ in the script and put in the numbers you want to block. You can add as many number as you like, just make sure that you enclose the numbers within the quote and separate each with a comma. Also, do not have a trailing comma after the last number.
- Save and transfer this file (callblock.py) to the MyDocs folder on the N900.
- Open terminal on the device and enter the root mode by entering:
- Next start the call block hack by entering:
python /home/user/MyDocs/callblock.py &
That’s it. All your unwanted calls are now blocked. You will need to run this script everytime you restart your device as there is no auto start functionality yet. Edit the block list in the callblock.py file anytime you want to change the blacklisted numbers. In case you have any doubts, hit Vinu’s My Nokia World to ask him.