Opera Mobile 10 with all its goodies including server side compression (Opera Turbo) for fast web browsing on slow connections has just been released for Maemo. It also features bookmark and Speed Dial sync with other Opera products, and multiple tabs. There is support for a QWERTY keyboard in both portrait and landscape modes.
You can download and install Opera Mobile 10 on your Nokia N800/N810/N900 using the phone’s default browser.
There are a number of known issues with this build:
- Adobe Flash and other plugins are not supported.
- Screen tearing may be visible when panning, especially in portrait mode. We expect to fix this in a future update.
- The built-in on-screen keyboard is not supported. Use the physical keyboard or the on screen keyboard included with Opera Mobile.
- There is no power management support. In practice this means that if you open a page with animations and leave Opera running, you will soon be using a payphone. Power is drained even when Opera is running in the background and/or the screen is turned off.
- If you set Opera as the default browser, for example by installing the Browser Switchboard, an extra empty tab will get opened every time you open a link from an external application.
It is worthwhile to note that this Maemo version of Opera Mobile 10 was created as a hobby project by a small team of developers in their spare time. In total, about 6 man-weeks were spent on creating the release. Therefore this is not an officially-supported release. “This also means that there may never be a “final” release of Opera Mobile 10 for Maemo devices, since it’s just that much more fun to add shiny new features rather than fixing boring old bugs.”