The N900 Finally Gets The PR 1.2 Firmware
The much awaited PR 1.2 (V10.2010.19-1) Firmware for the N900 is finally available for those of you in the UK, the rest of us will be blessed with this much awaited update tomorrow (OTA) i.e. Wednesday, just like we told you. The update brings a ton of bug fixes (literally), faster performance, inbuilt Qt libraries so you can gear up for some tempting applications, changes to the way the application display is handled and support for paid apps from the Ovi Store. Oh and there is support for Skype video calls as well.
The update is available OTA in the UK, but if you want to flash your device to get a fresh start, grab the firmware images from here. The paid apps and the new version of the Ovi Store will be switched on later this week (Thursday) when most people have updated to the new firmware. It will not function on PR 1.1 so you will have to update to benefit, expect to see Jurassic 3D Rollercoaster, Zen-bound, Angry Birds (level pack), Sygic, Kroll, Weatherbug, and GoGadget.
- Longpress to enter numbers/symbols on the keyboard.
- A revamped virtual keyboard.
- The ability to rearrange icons, no ‘more’ button in the menu.
- Changes to the camera UI, and a night mode for both photos and video.
- Qt 4.6.2 is now pre-installed.
- Video in Skype and Google Talk.
- The web browser now features a button to activate the portrait mode and a few more option while in the portrait mode.
- The browser benchmark also seems to have shot up from 8687 to 10141 with this leaked release.
- USSD codes now work.
- Type to search for apps in the Application Manager.
- Another addition is an email widget as well for the desktop.
- Updates to the Ovi Maps application, but no voice navigation yet.
The available firmware images include:
- RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.19-1.002_PR_COMBINED_002_ARM.bin 187852797 PR 1.2 version 10.2010.19-1 Latest Maemo 5 USA release for Nokia N900
- RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.19-1.003_PR_COMBINED_003_ARM.bin 187852797 PR 1.2 version 10.2010.19-1 Latest Maemo 5 Middle East and North Africa release for Nokia N900
- RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.19-1.004_PR_COMBINED_004_ARM.bin 187590653 PR 1.2 version 10.2010.19-1 Latest Maemo 5 India release for Nokia N900
- RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.19-1_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin 187721717 PR 1.2 version 10.2010.19-1 Latest Maemo 5 Global release for Nokia N900
So if you do not want to wait until tomorrow, simply grab the vanilla version for PR 1.2 for your region and get flashing. Use this guide. If you notice there is a specific ‘India’ release, so you can expect the device to hit India anytime now. If you are on a Mac, this is the guide to use.
[Update - If you are in India I recommend staying away for the India variant of the firmware as that lacks Skype support. Go with the Global version].
To keep up with the latest, you can follow us @TheMeeGoBlog.
If you enjoyed this post, then be sure to subscribe to our Full Feed RSS. You can also Subscribe via Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.Share: