The Nokia N900 PR 1.2 firmware came out for yesterday. UK users got it over the air yesterday itself while the rest of us will be getting the much sought after fix for the N900 today. But if you do not wish to update over the air, or cannot do so because you do not have enough free space in the rootfs, or for some other reason and you also happen to have a Mac then here is how you can update.
Updating on a Mac is much easier than having to manually flash on a Windows machine and the best part is that you can stay clear of the Terminal and do it in under two minutes with a clean graphical user interface.
- Download the 770Flasher by Andrew Flegg from this page, here is the direct link. Install it like any other Mac application.
- Next, Download the latest firmware (.bin) file, it will look like “RX-51_xxxxx_ARM.bin”. You will need your IMEI number to access the downloads, it can be found on the box or by going to Settings > General > About Product.
- Launch the 770Flasher application.
- You will the above screen. Click Ok.
- Select the firmware file which you want to flash. Next, you should see the following screen.
- Hit Ok.
- You will see the above message. Now insert the USB cable into the Mac, next press ‘u’ on the N900’s keyboard and insert the other end of the USB into it. Within an instant you will see a USB icon on the top right corner of the N900 and feel a small vibration. Now leave the ‘u’ key.
- The flash will begin and will take merely a minute.
- Soon you will see the above screen, this is your cue to take the USB cable out and rest assured that you have successfully flashed the N900.
If you are technically inclined, the N900 can also be flashed with the Console, directions here.
Disclaimer: Please do this at your own risk.