Home » Headline, News

Welcome To TheHandheldBlog.com

By - On 4 August 2010 14 Comments

For over three years now I have been running a website called The Symbian Blog, a website that you have helped grow from strength to strength. What started as a hobby under the vaibhavsharma.wordpress.com domain, moved to thesymbianblog.com when things got a little serious. Then I decided I needed my own hosting and off it went from the wordpress.com servers and things merely went on.

Welcome To TheHandheldBlog.com

Two years later Nokia introduced the N900 and I decided I needed to cover it, I simply liked it too much to ignore it. But since this was the ‘Symbian’ blog, how could I? Our tagline has always been ‘All things Symbian and then some more’ but I felt it wasn’t enough. Therefore, MaemoCentral.com happened and boy was I surprised by the warm welcome it received. But Nokia meanwhile had other plans, plans of wrapping up Maemo and getting started with MeeGo. Since the N900 was going to be the last Maemo device, I had to adapt and move MaemoCentral.com to TheMeeGoBlog.com, I tried to do this seamlessly and thankfully it worked.

Back to the present, I had two websites to manage and update and I was simply not finding enough time, both The Symbian Blog and The MeeGo Blog were doing great and both demanded my attention. Early last month I felt I needed to merge them together as it would not only make my life much easier, but you the dear reader would get a one stop shop for all your mobile needs. I asked you on Twitter, and all of you wanted to see this happen, bar none.

Yet, I was finding it hard to giveup a brand that I have worked on for so many years, a brand that has virtually given me a new identity. It was a hard choice but I felt it was for the greater good. Finally today on the fourth of August, I gave in.

Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to The Handheld Blog, it REALLY is a pleasure seeing you here.

I did not shut down The Symbian Blog or The MeeGo Blog, they’ve simply evolved. I still firmly believe in Symbian and from what little we’ve seen of MeeGo, it sure has the potential to do wonders for Nokia. Speaking of Nokia, I do believe the company’s on a comeback trail and come Nokia World more of you would join me in that belief. I can’t wait for that to happen.

But hey, now that we have a generic name, I’m sure you would like to read about Android as well, I’ve just started to experience it myself and you can rest assured that I will be taking you along for the ride.

On the technical aspects of the move, I hope that everything will continue to work flawlessly. You should be automatically redirected from both websites to the relevant posts you were looking for, all the content is already here along with your precious comments. I will be renaming our @TheSymbianBlog twitter account to @TheHandheldBlog while @TheMeeGoBlog will become @v4ibhav, where you can get in touch with me.

If you already haven’t, you can go ahead and subscribe to ‘The Handheld Blog’ right here and also follow us on twitter @TheHandheldBlog. If you would like to follow me, @v4ibhav is the handle.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to hear your thoughts on the move or any feedback that you might have. Do you like the new domain name?

Yours Truly,
Vaibhav Sharma

PS: Everything is just as it was, we just have a new name that’s all! :)

• dave said:

Well another one bites the dust like symbian guru. Anyway, good luck with the new endeavor, its will be sad to see posts about ifone and ifad here, but if thats how its gotta be then so be it.

Hey, not true. Like I mentioned, I still remain extremely passionate about Symbian and moving to a new domain was a matter of convenience rather than giving up on Symbian.

In any case I have no plans to cover anything ‘i’. Nothing’s changed. :)

• Paulo M said:

Well, if there was any doubt, Nokia dropped Maemo 6 before Symbian. lol just hope ^3 + works much, much better than S60. I think I’ve pushed my S60 v3 as far as it can go.

Good luck with your new site – and may the N8 turn out alright. :)

Thanks Paulo, I have a feeling it will. Will be playing with the N8 come Friday, pretty excited!

• @vkvraju said:

Congrats Vaibhav on the new domain name. Best wishes.

I hope Nokia gives a strike back very soon. It’s already time for them now and from what I have seen so far, can very confidently say that they are ready for it.

• Clinton Jeff said:

Way to go man. I know it must have been a crazy hard decision.

@vkvraju, thank you. Yup, they are primed for a comeback, exciting times indeed.

Clinton, probably the biggest decision I’ve had to take after starting The Symbian Blog, back in May 2007. I just hope everyone sees this merge for what it is and not as me moving away from Symbian etc. :)

• Michael Hell said:

awesome. just awesome. this gives you a whole lot more possibilities, way better exposure to a broader audience! congrats vaibhav

Thanks a ton Michael! It was a *really* tough call and I am glad it has been well received. :)

• manojlds said:

Neat! And glad that you won’t cover the i’s

PS: Make maemocentral redirect to thehandheldblog. It is going through themeegoblog and then thehandheldblog.

• N97 said:

Smart move:)

• Nokia N8 said:

I personally am pretty much disappointed. I subscribed to your blog because of symbian, now you are posting about android etc. Why dont you create separate feeds for only symbian ppl and symbian+android ppl.

Otherwise I have no option than to unsubscribe.
    thanks and no offense plz.

• Bill Dudley said:

Pity, I really don’t give a rat’s ass about other phones besides my N900. The rest is just noise to wade through. Thanks, it’s been a good run til now.

Bill, we have some nice tutorials and other coverage about the N900 in the pipeline. Don’t worry. :)

Nokia N8, I understand, you can follow http://thehandheldblog.com/category/symbian/feed/ if you just want Symbian coverage. The reason we merged was that a lot of readers wanted things to be consolidated!

Thanks for reading! :)