Swype Comes To Symbian, Makes Me Look Forward To The N8 Even More
Swype is an alternate text entry system that makes makes entering words on a touch based device ridiculously easy. You no longer need to be accurate when you hit the screen and all you do is ‘swype’ across the on-screen keyboard with one continuous finger or stylus motion and the software accurately guesses the word you were wanting to enter. I have been using Swype on the Galaxy S, for over a month now and I am incredibly glad to see this application come to Symbian.
The best part about Swype is that it learns new words very easily, automatically picks up names from your phonebook and also remembers the words that you have typed manually so that you can just Swype them next time. For times when you do not want to Sywpe, you can use the very same keyboard as a regular QWERTY keyboard. The following video from the Nokia Beta labs team should help explain Swype even more.
Swype is currently available on the Nokia N97, N97mini, X6, 5800, and 5230 with support for more devices expected soon. Do keep in mind that there is a very brief learning curve when you first start Swyping, so persist before you give up. This bunch of support videos should also help you get started.
- Standard QWERTY keyboard layout makes Swype easy to learn
- Use a stylus or finger – Swype’s amazing input path analyzer allows you to go fast and sloppy. Just make a reasonable effort to trace through the word and Swype will do the rest
- Double Tap Editing – Make a mistake? Double tap on a word to bring up a list of other possible matches.
- Auto Spelling Correction
- Automatic Help – Swype detects when you may be having trouble or might benefit from a particular feature and prompts you with helpful tips and instructions
- Instant access to Symbols, Numbers and Editing functions
- 65,000-word Learning Dictionary – Chances are the word you are typing is already in the Swype dictionary. If it isn’t, just tap it out once followed by a space and Swype will remember it for future use.
Download Swype for Symbian from Nokia’s Beta Labs.
In my N8 preview, I said ‘At the current stage I will have to give the N8 a 8/10 but if the browser gets updated and we get Swype for text entry, that score will easily rise to 9.5/10 for me’.
I assume Swype for N8 will be out when it ships and all indications do point to a new browser as well. Needless to say, the N8 just became even better in my eyes.
If you enjoyed this post, then be sure to subscribe to our Full Feed RSS. You can also Subscribe via Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.Share: