The Samsung App Store on the Galaxy S line of Android devices packs less than 10 applications and is usually not the place where you would go for all the cool Android apps. Although it does have Asphalt 5, Vlingo and a free fun utility apps like road SMS, but that’s about the extent of it.
Today I was surprised to find a pretty cool addition to the store in the form of Facebook For Samsung or Facebook S! Apparently Samsung’s isn’t too happy with the current iteration of ‘Facebook for Android’ and decided to offer something better for its users. I found the app on the Galaxy S and am not sure if Samsung’s other Android devices have also been blessed with this update.
I already have Facebook for Android installed and did not have to sign into the Facebook S! app after I downloaded and installed it. The major draw of the application is Samsung’s location integration which lets you tag your status with your location either using GPS or by picking a location on a map.
- The application is a light download, under 1.5 MB in size.
- You can click on a geo-tagged status to see it on a map.
- Tap the ‘add location’ button to pick a spot on the map or use the phone’s GPS. I was unable to use the GPS mode indoors, its almost as if the phone gives up too soon. May be an update will improve this feature. On the computer, the link to your location opens up in Google Maps.
- There are also options to upload pictures and videos directly from the camera or the gallery.
- The photo viewing mode is not too great as you cannot swipe across images and will have to use the back key to move to a new photo. A double tap will zoom the image and turning the phone will make the app switch to landscape.
- One thing I liked was the ability to sort your Facebook news feed by the category you want, really helps cut the clutter out.
There is no widget, but the application does have a nice and simple UI, and a few features that seem to work better than the stock Facebook application for Android. Give it a go and let us know what you think.