How To Sync Google Contacts With A Symbian Device
While Nokia’s new Symbian devices come with Ovi Sync pre-loaded, there are chances that you might want to keep your contacts in sync with your Google Account as opposed to being backed up on Ovi. Here come the good and bad things, the good thing is that your new N8, C7 or whatever device you have can sync your contacts with Google out of the box, and the bad thing is that the way to do is isn’t very obvious.
Fortunately, the setup is very easy and should take hardly a minute to undertake. If you use plain Gmail, you can get started right away. But if you use a Google Apps account, there is something you must do first. Goto the admin page of your Google Apps account, enter Service Settings > Mobile and make sure that the Enable Google Sync button is checked.
The following demo is done on a Symbian^3 device (Nokia N8) but it shouldn’t be different on others:
- Select the create new mailbox button and from the options presented select Mail for Exchange.
- Enter your details and leave the Domain option blank. Hit next, you will see a loading screen and chances are that you will come back to the enter details screen again. Hit next once more, this time you will see the ‘Mail for Exchange server’ option, enter ‘m.google.com’ and hit next.
- For a contacts only Sync select contacts and on the next screen choose whatever option you like.
- That’s it, your Mail for Exchange account will be setup and your contacts will start filling in automatically.
Sync’s can sometimes go wrong, horribly wrong, so its always advisable to take a backup of your contacts first and then at regular intervals. Happy syncing!
If you enjoyed this post, then be sure to subscribe to our Full Feed RSS. You can also Subscribe via Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.Share:
- How To: Sync Your Mobile Contacts With Your Google Account For Free
- How To Sync Your Facebook Friends’ Profile Pictures & Birthdays To The N8 & Other Devices
- Nokia Messaging & Mail For Exchange – Tips & Tricks
- Must Know HTC One Tips & Tricks
- How To Transfer Your Contacts, Messages & Other Data From Symbian To Android