We’ve just had news that Nokia is shutting down their ‘Comes With Music’ aka ‘Ovi Music Unlimited’ services in all but 6 countries. But since your current subscriptions are still valid, you might as well make use of the service as long as it lasts.
The one problem with downloading Ovi Music Unlimited tracks is that your subscription is tied to that one PC you authorized when you first activated your subscription. It is possible to change your ‘registered PC’ once every 90 days, but chances are you would like to be able to download music from any PC you could find, specially because the Ovi Music Store only offers low bitrate downloads over the air to your phone directly. This is where the ‘Ovi Music Downloader’ comes in.
The Ovi Music Downloader lets you download music from the Ovi Music Store on any PC using your existing ‘Ovi Music Unlimited’ subscription. You can also choose to download the 5 MB app if you would rather not deal with the Ovi Music Player.
- If you haven’t changed the registered PC in the past and have Ovi Player installed, when you first connect your Ovi Music Unlimited device, you will be prompted with the above dialog box. But you can ignore this if you have no intention of changing your registered PC.
- Visit music.ovi.com and sign in, you will now see a download button next to the music. Hit that and you will be prompted to down the ‘Ovi Music Downloader’. Download and install.
- You will also be prompted to install the Microsoft DRM tool, install again.
- Next hit the download button next to the albums/tracks and the Ovi Music Downloader will launch. Connect your device via USB and the app will start directly downloading the music to your phone.
- This dialog box will apprise you of the content already transferred.
That’s it. The only drawback is that you will not be able to play the music you just downloaded on the PC, although understandably due to DRM issues. I have tested this app with the Indian Ovi Music Store, if this works in your country as well, please let us know in the comments section.