Home » Featured, Maemo, MeeGo, News, Nokia

Nokia To Support The N9 For Years, May Be Bringing It To Even More Countries

By - On 6 July 2011 34 Comments

Ever since the N9 was announced, the question on everyone’s mind is that for how long would Nokia continue to support something which in all probability is its last MeeGo (Harmattan) device. Here’s something that should cheer you up, Klas Ström, Head of Portfolio Management in Marketing for Nokia tweets that the N9 will be supported for ‘years’ and that they would release several updates. Although, take the ‘years’ with a pinch of salt.

Next, if you are looking at a pure MeeGo experience, then you will also be glad to know that there are plans to bring the MeeGo Community Edition to the N9 as well, its already alive and kicking on the N900, and with the community support, the N9 can also hope to live longer than ever.

Finally, there is even more good news. Nokia India’s My Next Nokia page includes a mention of the N9 in its source code, pointing to a possible India release. Now before you get your hopes up, the information can only be seen in the source code and there is no mention of the N9 on any other visible portion of the website.

If you recall, there were only 23 countries which were slated to the get N9 when it was announced, but may be all the positive reaction is making Nokia reconsider other key markets as well. We’ll know more closer to its launch, meanwhile sit tight and hope.

[Update] It appears as if Nokia is indeed reconsidering its position on where to market the N9, it just popped up Nokia Brazil’s website as well, this time making it beyond the source code. Brazil was also missing from the original list of 23 countries. (via Verythrax in the comments below).

May be Nokia is only taking the N9 to markets which will get Nokia’s Windows Phone offerings next year? May be that 23 country is not definitive after all!

[via: ZCJ 1&2]

• Deepak said:

Wow this is awesome news! Though i have no plans of getting the N9 yet (will be holding on to my N8 for longer), I’m happy for Nokia as this should encourage people to buy the N9.

Hope this good news spreads out!

• adamski07 said:

this is one big/good news for future n9 owner.. I would still get this even without this announcement.. n9 all day.. :)

• Tomasz said:

But do they consider Windows Phone 7 to be “SW update”?

• Daniel said:

Maybe they’ll give it the same level of support they gave the n900…

• rubbish said:

Total rubbish I have a Nokia n900 and nokia gave up on it practicly on its day of release my n900 is the last nokia i will ever buy and i have been a loyal supporter of nokia for at least 15 years.

• Verythrax said:

N9 is listed in Nokia’s brazilian website as well:

• Ben said:

if they don’t launch it in these 2 months, they’ll lose the battle again & the delay to other countries will make the local consumers refrain from owning an outdated design… if they follow N900 marketting strategy.
    somemore, the support is a doubt, N900 practically only got 2 times updates when it reached my shore in ASEAN.

• Dave said:

@Daniel – Exactly! :D

I’m still relatively happy with my N900 and will be keeping it at least until the new year. After that, I have no choice but to go for some flavour of Android. There is no way I can go Nokia again after the way the N900 was ‘supported’ and the the way the N9/MeeGo affair has been handled.

• Gunni said:

Nokia said that much and maybe tomorrow they say something different.
    Step 4 of 5 …. Maybe tomorrow its step 5 of 4.

• Daniel said:

@Dave – Me too mate…

Last Nokia I’ll ever buy for certain.

• Vinícius said:

If this was really true it would have been said by the CEO on a press release, not a Head of Management.

Maybe the workers and managers want to support this, but Elop is trying to kill this initiative. And maybe even Nokia Brazil and India are doing it on their own and Nokia is fractured inside, with people wanting to support Meego and Elop (and the board of directors) trying to silence this movement.

At leats from the pieces we’ve seen that’s what I think is happening.

• N9 Support über Jahre inkl. Software Updates & Neue Vertriebsländer aufgetaucht | NOKIABLOG.ch said:

[...] thehandheldblog.com GD Star Ratingloading…GD Star Ratingloading… Tags: brazilien, indien, nokia n9, support, [...]

• nic said:

OK, now they are just playing with my feelings… :_( #brazilian

• nic said:

Might be nothing but in nokia.com/n9′s magical list tehre is no spanish speaking ocuntries… Ther eis only Portugual, a Portuguese speaking country like Brasil. And now we have this in Brazil…

But I noticed two things. In the small Angry Birds windows there is a “!Gratis!” ribbon, starting with a Spanish upside-down exclamation point. ther eis also a place written “imágens”, what is much probably an incorrect modification from Spanish ‘imágenes’ into Portuguese ‘imagens’, with the accent left unremoved. So, two signs this Portuguese language website was produced from Spanish originals. And that opens up lots of county possibilities…

• nic said:

Hey, look at that, it’s on Czech Republic’s Nokia website too!!! Pretty much officially like in the Brazilian site, not just some source code.

We should check out all Nokia’s websites, maybe those on the list are there because it’s some special set of countries they host websites differently, something like that…

• nic said:

…And here is another website, Nokia Middle-East and Africa. (french and english shows N9, not arabic)

• Nokia N9 and MeeGo will be supported “for years” » Unwired View said:

[...] Engadget, The Handheld Blog Tweet Follow Us on:    [...]

• Nokia N9 is Promised of Support for Years to Come said:

[...] Source: The Handheld Blog [...]

• Veks said:

… i didn’t even know there was this many N900 owners.
    N9 to me just might be my first Nokia phone in 2 years. Did not like Android at all and wanna try something different.

• Nokia N9 and MeeGo will be supported “for years” | Latest Technology News said:

[...] Via Engadget, The Handheld Blog [...]

• Alex Atkin UK said:

But how can I take the N9 seriously with only a Cortex A8 when high-end Android devices are packing the dual-core A9? Not to mention this BS of not selling the N950 to the public which is what many N900 owners wanted.

Sorry Nokia, you lost me. My N900 18 month contract was up and you had nothing to upgrade to. If I have to sacrifice my hardware keyboard anyway, I might as well go to Android with a decent selection of Apps in the store and nice shiny dual-core A9s.

I tried installing the Maemo SDK on my Mandriva Linux machine, I could never figure out how to get it to work as only Debian was officially supported. So I went to the trouble of installing Ubuntu on my laptop for it, but still hit snag after snag, not least the lack of decent documentation to get me (a novice) going. In the end, I gave up.

Now after getting my LG Optimus 3D last week I tried installing the Android SDK and guess what, it was dead easy. Actually slightly easier on Linux than Windows because I didn’t have to manually download the JDK with it being in the distro repository. Had it running on my main PC and my laptop in less time than it took to get the Maemo one installed, and the whole package ties together correctly. If you want to get people developing on your platform THAT is the experience you want.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved my N900, despite Nokia doing everything they could to make me hate it. It just makes no sense to buy from a company that is holding you back and shown only contempt for you.

• andre klapper said:

Well, define “support”.
    It can mean a lot of different things.
    I stay skeptical.

• n900 user from india said:

i am huge nokia fan for 7 year nokia 7610 to n900 i love nokia but the way i buy n900 and the way nokia do with it i hate nokia why they dont make a new firmware for n900 with flash10.3 but they moving to wp7.and india is abig market for nokia but they still confused to make n9 to india

• dan man said:

ok this is now just messing with my emotions! nokia was the longest phone i had and it was very reliable. ill be getting this

• dpr said:

Nokia, please dont forget the US market for N9.

• outlook tech support said:

nokia is definitely doing something right

• MeegoMan said:

Nokia N9 Target Release Markets Rapidly Expanding Beyond 23 Countries

Since the initial launch of the Nokia N9 handset in Singapore on the 21st of June, the list of International Markets targeted for the retail released has continued to expand beyond the list of the initial 23 countries without much ado.

The most notable additions are Argentina, Brazil, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Indonesia, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Norway and Philippines.

Afghanistan, Lebanon and Pakistan have been added to the 56 other countries covered under the tri-lingual Middle East and Africa Nokia website.

BMLE,

• MeegoMan said:

The N9 will be a real game-changer on the worlwide smartphone scene.

Android Applications can run on the Nokia N9, via Alien Dalvik, promising native performance with minimum repackaging of the original Android App. All the hardware capabilities are accessible to the repackaged Android App, and any further tweaking that may be necessary for 100% compatibility can be done via the Android SDK, which Myriad will provide later this year.

At a single stroke, future owners of the Nokia N9 running on the Meego Harmattan 1.2 platform will potentially have access to more applications than Android phones, a staggering notion, considering that the Android Apps market was already growing at a rate faster than Apple iPhone Apps by February of 2011 and recent numbers from Hugo Barra, Product Management Director of Android in May 2011 showed that there are 200,000 Android Apps available.

Compare this with the 300,000 over iPhone Apps available as of now.

Add the current 48,000 Ovi store Apps as of June 2011 to the continued growth of the Android Apps market, it is likely that at the point-in-time of the retail release of the N9 worldwide, owners will have access to more Smartphone Apps than the iPhone!!!

A truly shocking thought, especially when the number of Apps available for end-users have been the strongest selling point for any Smartphone device to date.

The fact is it is more likely that WP7 will be stillbirth. Despite having 36,000 registered developers as of March 2011, there are only 11,500 WP7 Apps. This means less than 33% of developers who actually PAID money to register, actually developed anything for WP7. Just goes to show how much confidence the mobile App Developer Community for the Smartphone market have in WP7.

So much so that one reviewer wondered aloud why Nokia would want to cast its lot with Windows when it already has a potential iOS killer in terms of user-interface, an “ecosystem” that it can control with QT developers dying to get their hands on developing apps in-house in the production stages.

It is baffling how Elop has been forced to launch the very handset that can get him fired from his position as the CEO of Nokia.

In a yet another surprising turn of events in the Nokia N9 saga, Nokia has officially declared continued support for the Nokia N9 and Meego Harmattan 1.2 platform after the soon expected retail release worldwide.

See the tweet from the Nokia’s Head of Portfolio Management:

klasstrom

• cluebat said:

Alex: A 1GHz A8 core is still faster than what the iPhone has. Notice how the iPhone4 is faster in actually use than any Android device.

The reason for the monster specs on Android devices is the terribly inefficient Java garbage. It NEEDS a dual A9 core CPU to attempt to maintain acceptable performance. It will also suck battery faster than any other phone on the market as the JVM spins away.

• Nokia N9 Official Countdown Starts, 49 Days To Go? | The Handheld Blog said:

[...] There is still no clarity on the which countries will get the N9, but we now know that the list has grown from the original 23 and includes South Africa, Italy, Brazil [...]

• Online Retailer Lists The Nokia N9, Says Expected In India Come October | The Handheld Blog said:

[...] markets for the N9 have increased since the initial 23 country announcement and we’ve had reason to suspect that the N9 might be coming to India. The N900 came to India very late in the product’s life cycle, here’s hoping Nokia [...]

• Anton said:

Ukraine is not in that list yet too. But Nokia shows lots of N9 TV adverts in Ukrainian language about a month: http://www.nokia.ua/products/phones/nokia-n9

• area51thc said:

Bla,bla,bla…Stupid talks about updates…N900 kicks ass,N9 kicks ass.

• Up2date said: