Nokia PureView 808 Hands On
Nokia’s just made the sucessor to the widely regarded Nokia N8 official and it comes to us in the form if the Pureview 808. The number that shouts at everyone is its 41 Megapixel sensor. However, the real story is how Nokia uses that monstrous sensor to create the best camera phone on the planet. While the camera is the showstopper here, other noteworthy specs include a 4″ Clear Black display, a 1400 mAh battery, 16 GB of internal storage, HDMI out, a FM Transmitter, Secure NFC and Bluetooth 3.0.
I was able to track down Nokia’s imaging guru Damien Dinning for a definitive hands on with the Pureview 808. In the 12 minute video Damien takes us though what Nokia set out to achieve and how they made the decision to use the Pureview technology. He then talks about the in and outs of the sensor and finally we get a look at the all new camera UI, which I must add is excellent. The interview with Damien is
coming later here, but for now I’ll talk you through the device in full HD (YouTube link).
- 41 MP sensor with PureView imaging technology and Carl Zeiss optics
- Video resolutions: Full HD (1920×1080) 30fps [Default], HD (1280×720) 30fps, nHD (640×360) 30fps
- Lossless Zoom: 4x1080p [Default], 6x 720p, 12x360p
- Frame rates supported: 15, 24, 25, 30fps
- Stereo High Amplitude Audio Capture (HAAC)
- Three shooting modes: Auto, Scenes, Creative
- Integrated video editor for trimming video
More coming soon. Meanwhile I recommend you read the white paper on the PureView 808.
[Update: 16 minute hands on!]
If you enjoyed this post, then be sure to subscribe to our Full Feed RSS. You can also Subscribe via Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.Share: