Nokia announced an update for the Lumia 920 and 820 last month, but mentioned that it would only be available in the US and Canada immediately and that the update would come to users across the world in early February. But if you’re picking up a new Lumia 920 or 820 in India, the good news is that it will be shipping with the update codenamed Portico pre-installed.
This update includes updates from both Microsoft and Nokia. There are certain all round improvements to Windows Phone functionality plus some Nokia specific enhancements Post the update, the OS version number will be 8.0.10211.204, while the firmware will be 1232.5951.1249.0001.
The PR1.1 Firmware Improvements include:
- Messaging: You can now add multiple recipients at the same time when you send a text message and automatically save unsent text messages as drafts. You can also finally edit received text messages before you forward them.
- More efficient and reliable Bluetooth connectivity.
- More efficient and reliable start-up sequence.
- Enhancements in imaging performance and battery management.
- Text replies to incoming calls: Can’t take a call? Now you can send a prewritten text reply to a caller directly from the call answer screen. It’s a nice way to let people know that you’re not ignoring them.
- Internet Explorer improvements: You can now change your settings to prevent pictures from downloading automatically—an easy way to help keep data usage low. You can also delete selected sites from your browsing history and leave the rest intact.
- Wi-Fi improvements: You can now prioritize Wi-Fi connections based on your connection history, but more importantly tell your phone to keep the WIFI connection active even when the screen times out or the phone is locked.
- Additional platform updates and enhancements.
- On the Lumia 920, this update also improves the camera algorithm to give you better day light photos that are much less fuzzy. A very welcome fix indeed.