As has been the practice with Nokia recently, when a firmware comes out for one device, a few others get new firmwares too. After the N97, the N96 has been blessed with the v30 firmware. This release is a 6MB over the air download and makes the device faster and fixes a few bugs. Nevertheless, it is good to see Nokia not neglecting an old device which failed to take off.
The new firmware is available over-the-air (OTA) by simply pressing *#0000# from the standby screen and checking for updates. (Detailed guide on how to update OTA here). The phone features user data preservation (UDP) so your data should be fine even after the update, however a backup never hurts. The update should also be available via the windows only Nokia Software Updater.
Nokia has just rolled out a new firmware for the aging Nokia N96. The v20.050 firmware, up from v12, brings in a lot of bug fixes and improvements. The new firmware makes the device faster and brings additions like the standby email plugin to show your emails on the standby screen.
Audio Themes make an appearance, so does a menu to manage the slide. The battery management has been worked on, the camera has also been tweaked and the videos should now have lesser noise. All in all this looks like a major improvement. The v20 firmware is available over the air (OTA) as well as via the Nokia Software Updater (NSU). The N96 has user data preservation, so you can update without having to reinstall everything, however a backup never hurts.
- Nokia Email client and Mail for Exchange (MfE) preloaded (User will install and configure email clients with the help of Settings Wizard)
- Settings Wizard 5.0: offers improvements for Nokia Email and MfE setup
- Active Standby Email Plug-in: showing new email messages on Active Standby screen
Look & Feel:
- Support for Audio Themes: configurable sounds for various events e.g. opening/closing slide, battery low etc
- Setting to allow a slideshow to be used as wallpaper
- Slide handling: Setting to allow user to configure effect opening/closing the slide has on a call and keylock
- WiFi Protected Setup is now supported, allowing simplified setup of WLAN security with a supported WLAN access point
- Support of IAD (Independent Application Delivery): Allows certain applications to be updated independently over the air.
- Correction for occasional CMLA (Content Management License Administrator) certificate corruption. (These certificates are needed for e.g. Mobile TV and N-Gage license purchases)
- Energy management
- Shorter lights/screen timeout when lockswitch activated. Backlight dims as soon as keylock is enabled.
- Media Keys surrounding the rocker key lit only if a media application is open
- Right Softkey changed from “Hide” to “Exit” for Music Player for EM savings
- A number of improvements made to the Camera image quality
- The device SW version information is now stored in the image MetaData
- Default recording quality for video is changed from ‘TV normal’ to TV high’
- Noise reduction of recorded videos
- New version of Music player: Performance and “Comes With Music”-related improvements
- FlashLite update for improved YouTube compatibility – improvements in rendering of Flash Video
- General Media player &streaming related usability & performance improvements
- OMA DRM v2 content can use device clock if no secure clock (i.e. NITZ) is available
- Empty bookmark folders removed from Browser bookmarks (i.e. the “Download…” folders)
- Link to Ovi.mobi is included in Browser bookmarks
- Vibra enabled when charging
- When gaming in landscape mode, stereo audio will be played through correct speakers
- Updated Themes
- Slide triggered keyguard activation: When closing the slide, pressing any key within 2 seconds will result in keylock not being activated
- Several error corrections based on Care and operator feedback
- Several application baseline updates
via: Nokia Users