Whats App performance on Windows Phone has never been great. It was especially bad on Windows Phone 7.5, but with Windows Phone 8 it became much better. However, its been far from seamless and severely lacking in comparison to its iOS and Android clients. Fortunately, it seems things are about to change. WP Central has news of a major Whats App update thats in the works, and it promises to greatly improve the experience on Windows Phone.
- In addition to UI improvements we’ve rewritten our background agent code for increased performance (biggest plus no more music API usage) – This is a big deal. Currently, if you’ve just used Whats App, you loose the ability to control the music player from the volume keys as Whats App takes over.
- New smileys
- Fixes notification issues for WP8 users.
- Users can now see smileys on the double wide tile.
- Fast resume. (If the app is open and you click on the incoming notification it opens as if in Android, very fast really)
- On the start-up now it ask you to backup your chat history.
- Large images shown
A faster, more reliable Whats App on Windows Phone will be huge deal, especially for the mid segment Lumias. They are more than capable of giving the budget Android devices a run for their money, and if the Whats App update lives up to its promise, the Lumias will be a lot easier to recommend to the messaging focussed crowd as well.
[via: WP Central]