I have just finished a Q&A with Esa (the N8 product manager), Maija and Aapo of Nokia along with a bunch of other bloggers and have quite a few interesting bits of knowledge about the N8 for you. The vibe that I got from this Q&A was that the N8 is still being worked upon and we might see a few surprises when it comes out or even later via a firmware update.
Instead of the usual denial that such and such functionality will not be present in the N8, we got a more encouraging, we can’t talk about it yet approach along with the wait and watch. It appears Nokia is really trying hard with the N8.
- The N8 is the first penta band 3G device. (WCDMA 850/900/1700/1900/2100)
- The N8 does not have a sequence mode for taking pictures – Nokia optimized for the cam for still shot quality. “We need to push the 12Mpix filesizes thru the engine and wanted to get great optimization & fast shot-to-shot first”.
- Is the pinch to zoom functionality smooth? The demo video wasn’t very convincing – A. “Very smooth in my opinion, and animates when zooming in Photos, E-mail and Browser. Very useful for e-mails. The video is a bit old in that, so I hope you’ll be pleasantly surprised when you see the real deal”.
- The N8 records 1 minute of HD video in about 60 MB. That puts a 30 minute video at 1.8 GB.
- The N8 has a conversational view in SMS.
- The N8 has 680 Mhz processor along with a with graphics accelerator. This translates to approximately 60 frames per second on the UI, ‘resulting in a very competitive performance’.
- The Web TV offering will vary from market to market, it will grow eventually. ‘There will be content from e.g. CNN, National Geographic and Paramount as well as local TV broadcasters’.
- Two mics to record audio in videos. One near the lens, and the other located at the usual spot.
- You will need to pay a visit to your local Nokia Care Center to get the battery replaced, 12 month warranty on it.
- It can play .mkv files, support for Divx/Xvid possible by the time of release, doesn’t exist currently.
- Faster Face Detection and shot times in general. No new functionality such as Smile shutter etc.
- Redone email client. “the e-mail is completely redone. Super easy to set up multiple accounts without knowing any server details. Works with Exchange. Displays HTML mails with nice fonts and pictures in place. Fast switching between mailboxes. Tap-and-hold for contextual options… it’s totally redone”.
- If the phone hangs, press the power key for 8 seconds to reboot.
- The sensor on the N8 is ‘bigger and thus taking brighter shots. I checked that its bigger than many 300 € pocket cameras‘. Also, ‘New 28mm wide angle optics from Zeiss gives wider view and fits well with 16:9 view finder & pics’. If you want more detail about the N8’s camera, look this AAS post up.
- When asked about multitouch on the N8’s keyboard, the answer was ‘no multitouch keyboard at this stage‘. Hope.
- Facebook profiles can be linked to the device phonebook.
- I’ve already told you about USB on-the-go.
- And yes, the Ovi Suite for Mac is still being worked on! ‘Polished’ as they put it.
- On the loud speaker. Damian Dinning – “It uses one speaker. It’s in the camera raised area, you’ll see a small grill under the camera. It’s the most powerful speaker Nokia use. We use a small dedicated power amplifier to drive it as hard as possible, it’s pretty loud for a device of this size. In evaluation it was found that one larger speaker with this amplifier vs two smaller ones sounded better. It may not have the stereo speakers of other devices but this approach in use sounds better, at least to my ears. “
If you have questions of your own, you can ask away on this Nseries blog post.